Did matthew erroneously turned history into prophecy...?

I searched for this before but was not able to find anything on it on this site:

Matthew 2: 13-15
When they had gone, an angel of the Lord appeared to Joseph in a dream. “Get up,” he said, “take the child and his mother and escape to Egypt. Stay there until I tell you, for Herod is going to search for the child to kill him.” So he got up, took the child and his mother during the night and left for Egypt, where he stayed until the death of Herod. And so was fulfilled what the Lord had said through the prophet: “Out of Egypt I called my son.”[a]

hosea 11:1

11:1 When Israel was a child, I loved him,
and out of Egypt I called my son.

“Matthew (2:15) claims that the flight of Jesus’ family to Egypt is a fulfillment of this verse. But Hosea 11:1 is not a prophecy at all. It is a reference to the Hebrew exodus from Egypt and has nothing to do with Jesus.”

Jesus is the embodiment of God’s faithful: who is at once a follower of His father and God Himself.

Hosea’s prophecy is not an either Israel OR Jesus…it’s both Israel AND Jesus.

Hope this helps!:thumbsup:

Not exactly.

The Hebrew Exodus event itself was a type, or a foreshadowing, pointing to the Holy Family’s departure from Egypt after the death of Herod. As such the Hebrew Exodus itself can be seen as a prophetic event point to Christ, and Hosea’s words, even if they were not originally understood by their first hearers to be prophecy (an assumption which has not been proven), they were recognized by the Evangelist to be Christocentric.

There’s a good article on this site somewhere about the OT prophecies. Many of the prophecies in the OT are removed from their original contexts, but that is permissible in the Jewish interpretation tradition.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.