Did Moses stutter?

I heard once on a tape from an apologist that Moses stuttered? Is this true? Thank you and God Bless.

We don’t know exactly what kind of speech impediment Moses had but Scripture indicates that he did have an issue of some kind:

Moses, however, said to the LORD, “If you please, my Lord, I have never been eloquent, neither in the past nor now that you have spoken to your servant; but I am slow of speech and tongue.”
-Exodus 4:10

However, Moses protested to the LORD, “If the Israelites did not listen to me, how is it possible that Pharaoh will listen to me, poor speaker that I am!
-Exodus 6:12

Common tradition has assumed that Moses had a stutter since Exodus 4:10 indicates that his “slow speech and tongue” had been with him for a long time (“neither in the past”). Usually people who purposely slow down their speech are people who have issues with stuttering. However, its also possible that Moses just wasn’t a good public speaker or quick on his feet when it came to speaking. Maybe he just had a tendency to freeze up when speaking in public (i.e. stage fright).

In Jewish midrash Moses injured himself as a small child when he put a burning coal in his mouth.

Either way, Moses had some kind of issue that prevented him from being confident when speaking and God’s grace helped him to overcome it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.