Did Moses write Genesis?

Originally Posted by JoeyWarren
Well please do. And please provide that EXPLICIT BIBLICAL proof you keep harping on.

Here’s a fresh thread. Just asking please provide Biblical proof that Moses wrote Genesis.
Thanks, will be waiting.

If he did, wouldn’t it have been in hieroglyphics?

:wink: If he did, wouldn’t it have been in hieroglyphics?

:slight_smile:

Well, Jesus referred to the Torah as “the law of Moses.” However, this in itself does not prove complete authorship, just as using a Webster’s Dictionary doesn’t require thinking Webster wrote it all. However, Webster was its inspiration. Likewise, the Torah was probably initially from Moses and then expanded greatly by later writers.

The doctrine of inspiration, as I understand it, just means the Bible as we have it today is inspired. It doesn’t matter how many different authors contributed to it along the way.

Moses compiled Genesis in an Egytianized Hebrew from ancient records passed down to him.

Recalling what I was taught by the Good priest and nuns…was that the Torah was written by a minimum of 4 different authors, and was combined together by a redactor, or two. It’s why you get multiple creations, floods, etc. They liked both,apparently and so included both. Priestly, Yahwist, Elohist, and Deuteronomic. The styles are quite different and even a layperson with a bit of training can pretty easily separate one from the other.

Jewish tradition long held taht Moses was the author of the Torah, the first five books of the Old Testament. The great Rabbi, Maimonides, discovered a problem with that, in the pericope, “The Canaanites were then living in the land.”

The Canaanites lived in the land for some 500 years after Moses. If the writer felt the need that the Canaanites used to live in the land, clearly he lived much later than Moses. Maimonides also noted that Moses’ funeral is described – which would indicate that the author was someone else.

Modern scholars consider Genesis, at least, to be handed down from oral tradition, and written down (redacted) much later. Generally they identify either three or four redactors – the Yahwist and the Eloist (identified by their word for “God.”) The Priestly Source (identified by his love of detail for ritual and priestly accoutrements) and possibly a fourth redactor, the Duteronomist, who is believed to have written down the book of Duteronomy.

John 5:46 For had ye believed Moses, ye would have believed me: for he wrote of me.
47 But if ye believe not his writings, how shall ye believe my words?

God bless,
Ed

Yes, but see Post 4 on Jesus (to be self-referential for a moment :slight_smile: ).

Yeah, I was gonna say… didn’t it talk about Moses death??? How could he write about his own death:confused: :slight_smile:

Simple answer? He couldn’t.

The Torah or Pentateuch as we have it is a far more sophisticated form of Judaism than could have existed in Moses’ time. Most authorities now feel it was redacted around the time of David or Solomon.

Ya, you know, 'cause they were stupid and stuff. Real dummies compared to us smart people. :rolleyes:

Why do you say this?

Wow!

Am I the only one here that believes Moses wrote nearly all of the Torah?!? I mean, of course he didn’t write of his burial, but Joshua certainly could have done that.

I don’t buy into the multiple creations representing multiple authors. For one, why is there never found writings of one creation account WITHOUT the other. If these were combined, there should be evidence of there separate origins.

Second, I think the Two Creation accounts show two sides of God. I mean, we have One side, showing the almighty Creator, who can create something out of nothing, simply by saying it is so. The Other side of God shows us a gentle Father lovingly creating His children, breathing life into them and walking with them in His Garden.

Doesn’t Jesus Himself testify to Moses authorship?

"Do not imagine that I am going to accuse you before the Father: you have placed your hopes on Moses, and Moses will be the one who accuses you. If you really believed him you would believe me too, since it was about me that he was writing…" ~ Jesus addressing the Jews of Jerusalem in John 5:45-46

No, you’re not alone. I’m with you. :slight_smile:

I’ll even say that Moses could have written of his own death. To deny that he couldn’t is to deny that there is ANY PROPHESY in the Bible, and that makes the NT writers liars for claiming that the OT contains prophesies about Jesus! :eek: You’ll kill me before I go there!

It’s a lie that that Genesis contains multiple creation accounts. There, I said it. Sue me. You cannot make a sane argument for it when you read chapters 1 and 2 without the chapter and verse divisions.

Regarding multiple authors, read this post:
forums.catholic.com/showpost.php?p=2616777&postcount=11 Duh. :rolleyes: The theory of mulitple authors is premised upon a fairy-tale world. It ain’t premised upon real human life.

That was a popular theory in the 1970s, but it’s losing ground now. And no it’s not easy to separate the supposed “four strands” from each other. Even the strongest advocates of this theory dispute among themselves over who wrote what. (And the “two creation stories” can easily be read as a single narrative without contradicting each other. And where are the “multiple floods”?)

It is possible to be a perfectly orthodox Catholic without believing that the authors traditionally associated with each book of the Bible were the ones who literally wrote them. That the **words **of the Bible are inerrant is an article of Catholic dogma. The identity of the authors is not. It seems reasonable to me to believe that there were multiple authors of the “books of Moses”.

Count me in, as another “Moses wrote most if not all of the Torah”. I always wonder, why the “several authors” defenders, don’t understand that, since Moses was raised (& therefore educated) in the courts of Pharaoh, that he had plenty of opportunity to study source materials as he was growing up.
In other words: Moses had everything he needed, from a human standpoint, to write just about anything…Add in, Divine inspiration, & there you go!

Naturally, there are different tones to different parts of the writings. Sometime, pick out a poster here, & call up their total posts, & check what they write over in the Clubhouse games vs. what they write here, in the more serious threads. Do they sound exactly the same? Of course not! That’s perfectly natural, for any writer!!

To repeat myself yet again (and I have to, since no one else will :stuck_out_tongue: ), Post 4 addresses this.

Sure, Moses COULD HAVE written the Torah. Since everyone else is going out on a limb, I will too: It’s obvious he did not. The same author wrote Genesis and Leviticus? Nope. Were they both inspired by God? Yep.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.