Did my lie invalidate my Confession?

Hello,

I dont know if I am being scrupulous or what, but please answer as soon as possible.

So, the other day I confessed a mortal sin and the priest asked me if I knew a certain prayer. I answered yes even though I didn’t know it (I have committed myself to learning it though). The next day, I fell back into self abuse and I then went to confession again and confessed that I lied, but gave no details that the lie occurred in the Sacrament of Reconciliation.

My questions are:
[LIST]
[/LIST]Is my first confession (the one I lied about knowing a prayer) invalidated by my lie and do I have to go and confess my mortal sin again?
If not, does my confession that I lied cover the lie during confession even though I didnt give the details of the lie?

Please let me know. Thank you and God bless!!

Hi friend,

Yes, I do think you are scrupling a bit. Knowing or not knowing a prayer was not a part of your confession. You then confessed it for the venial sin it might have been. It sounds to me that you responded without giving it much thought since you didn’t expect the question. I do not see any mortal sins except the one of self-abuse. Now relax!

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.