Did my Wife recieve absolution?

long story ( short ) long :o

My Wife went to confession this morning. She was worried so she said to me ''The priest was wearing civilian clothing and at the end of my confession instead of saying the formula he just said ‘‘In the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit I forgive you of your sins’’. and that was that.

I saw the priest afterwards and I know he celebrates Mass so that was a weight off her shoulders and I think she thought some fella who isnt a priest just heard her confession.

But I’m shaky on the absolution part. I think its ok but… not sure so would appreciate it if someone could give a solid answer and take a load off her ( our ) minds.

[quote="Stephentlig, post:1, topic:299876"]
''The priest was wearing civilian clothing and at the end of my confession instead of saying the formula he just said ''In the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit I forgive you of your sins''. and that was that.

[/quote]

As far as I know, the essential words (in Latin) are:

ego te absolvo a peccatis tuis in nomine Patris, et Filii, + et Spiritus Sancti. Amen

This is translated in English as:

I absolve you from your sins in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost. Amen.

The conclusion? Since he said the English "forgive", it may have not been valid.

However, from the standpoint of your spouse, she fulfilled everything and received the absolution. If she received the Holy Eucharist, she did absolutely nothing wrong. But to avoid unnecessary confusion, she should either talk to or confess to another priest, pointing out this.

I hope someone can point out with some official source a definitive answer: valid or invalid?

Personally I would say that she certainly received absolution. It was her intention to receive the Sacrament, and it was the intention of the priest to give her absolution. And, I am not sure about this though, even if it was a fake priest, which she was unaware of, I think absolution is received via the general intention of Holy Mother Church by use of its Charity.

God Bless.

if she is concerned, she should speak to the priest to whom she confessed.

I recommend you message Fr. Vincent Serpa, an apologist for the forums.

Great news: someone already did this in the past. Here.

The Church is quite flexible with the words of consecration and absolution for the benefit of the faithful so long as the words convey what the Church means in each instance. So “be forgiven” and “I forgive you” instead of “I absolve you” are valid—but definitley illicit.

So for sure we know your wife received absolution.

(Btw I didn’t find this out, Catholic4Christ did, here.)

I’ll let my wife know thank you all.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.