Did Peter have a wife?

in talking to a protestant friend the subect of priestly celabacy came up AGAIN. I pointed out that while there is mention of Peter’s mother in law but no mention of a wife- he could have been a widow or whater and she sent me to a blog post by Rachel Held-Evans with this quote[QUOTEin talking to a protestant friend the subect of priestly celabacy came up AGAIN. I pointed out that while there is mention of Peter’s mother in law but no mention of a wife- he could have been a widow or whater and she sent me to a blog post by Rachel Held-Evans with this quote:[quote]We know he had a wife. However, we know nothing about her, save that Paul seemed a little put out that Peter could travel with his wife and enjoy financial support for the two of them while he had to sew tents all day the whole gist of the blogpost is actually pointing out how 'unfairly" women are treated by the church esp. by those groups ( esp. US) whoe don;t support a female clergy… I am not a biblical scholar by any means but I can’t find any reference to the above quote which is supposed to have come out of either the Acts or the Epistles- I have tried to google peter’s wife but haven’t been able to find any mention of her save from the sick mother in law verse. can anyone help me out?] the whole gist of the blogpost is actually pointing out how 'unfairly" women are treated by the church esp. by those groups ( esp. US) whoe don;t support a female clergy… I am not a biblical scholar by any means but I can’t find any reference to the above quote which is supposed to have come out of either the Acts or the Epistles- I have tried to google peter’s wife but haven’t been able to find any mention of her save from the sick mother in law verse. can anyone help me out?

The following links should help answer your question about St. Peter and priestly celibacy. If you have any further questions, please contact Catholic Answers directly.

Recommended Reading:

Peter’s Mother-in-law

Was Peter married?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.