Did Peter practice the Jewish passover?

Since, Peter was Jewish did he practice the passover the way Jews do? Did he practice all the Jewish Holy Days/Holidays the same way Jews did?

No doubt he did, but for how long after Jesus’ ascension we can’t be sure. Once he had had his vision of the unclean animals, had seen Gentile converts come into the Church and spoke against circumcising converts at the First Council of Jerusalem, such practices probably dropped by the wayside. It certainly was no longer necessary for him to keep practicing the Jewish holidays/ceremonies since Jesus had fulfilled them. :slight_smile:

The bible says that the Jews should practice the passover FOREVER. To me it seems that christian gentiles and christian Jews followed different rules.

The Passover was fulfilled with the Institution of the Body and Blood of Jesus by Jesus himself at the Last Supper. The Passover was a prefigure of eating the Lamb sacrificed for sin. Since Jesus is the Lamb of God, eating the consecrated bread and wine in the Eucharist is fulfilling this command in an unbloody way, according to the offering made to Melchizedek of bread and wine, for Jesus is our High Priest in the order of Melchizedek.

Every Sunday.

Peace

The bible says the Jews should practice the passover FOREVER. Their passover was to remember what God did for them in Egypt.

Why wouldn’t he?
Jesus did.

That’s what I think too. Did he stop practicing them at some point or did he honor the Jewish holy days/holidays all his life?

Jesus did so I am sure Peter did too.

John 10: 22 Then came the Festival of Dedication** at Jerusalem. It was winter, 23 and Jesus was in the temple courts walking in Solomon’s Colonnade. 24 The Jews who were there gathered around him, saying, “How long will you keep us in suspense? If you are the Messiah, tell us plainly.”

(This is Hannakuh, found in the books Protestants reject :shrug:)

Now the feast of the Jews, the Feast of Booths, was near. Therefore His brothers said to Him, "Leave here and go into Judea, so that Your disciples also may see Your works which You are doing.

But when His brothers had gone up to the feast, then He Himself also went up, not publicly, but as if, in secret. So the Jews were seeking Him at the feast and were saying, “Where is He?”

But when it was now the midst of the feast Jesus went up into the temple, and began to teach. (John 7:2, 3, 10, 11, 14 NASB)

There are lots of other examples.

Later the Lords Supper replaced the Passover and as the Christians were persecuted by the Jews and became made up of more Gentiles, participating in the cultural festivals became less and less**

The Passover is celebrated at every mass.

Many Christians also participate in Passover Seders at the historical time in the spring

I’ve looked at the passover that is celebrated at mass and it doesn’t seem to be the same passover that Jews observe.

This is the Passover as Jesus celebrated it, and is exactly as we celebrate.

26 While they were eating, Jesus took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and gave it to his disciples, saying, “Take and eat; this is my body.”

27 Then he took a cup, and when he had given thanks, he gave it to them, saying, “Drink from it, all of you. 28 This is my blood of the[a] covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins. 29 I tell you, I will not drink from this fruit of the vine from now on until that day when I drink it new with you in my Father’s kingdom.”

30 When they had sung a hymn, they went out to the Mount of Olives.

Jesus is God and it’s his right to change it if he wants.

Yes, Peter practiced the Jewish passover. We are shown in the Bible that the Last supper was a passover meal. And we are also told in the Bible that immediately before Christ’s passion and death, Jesus gave both Peter and John instructions to make preparations for the passover meal.

Luke 22: 7-20
Then came the day of Unleavened Bread on which the Passover lamb had to be sacrificed.
Jesus sent Peter and John, saying, “Go and make preparations for us to eat the Passover.”
“Where do you want us to prepare for it?” they asked.
He replied, “As you enter the city, a man carrying a jar of water will meet you. Follow him to the house that he enters, and say to the owner of the house, ‘The Teacher asks: Where is the guest room, where I may eat the Passover with my disciples?’
He will show you a large room upstairs, all furnished. Make preparations there.”
They left and found things just as Jesus had told them. So they prepared the Passover.
When the hour came, Jesus and his apostles reclined at the table.
And he said to them, “I have eagerly desired to eat this Passover with you before I suffer. For I tell you, I will not eat it again until it finds fulfillment in the kingdom of God.”
After taking the cup, he gave thanks and said, “Take this and divide it among you.
For I tell you I will not drink again from the fruit of the vine until the kingdom of God comes.”
And he took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to them, saying, “This is my body given for you; do this in remembrance of me.”
In the same way, after the supper he took the cup, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood, which is poured out for you.

Well they were still celebrating God giving Moses the Law on the day of Pentecost when the descent of the Holy Spirit came, it would explain why the Blessed Mother was with all the Apostles that day since it is a Jewish Holy day. Christians now celebrate Pentecost in the fulfillment of the Davidic Kingdom.

What are you using as a reference? You should at least be getting the Marriage Supper of the Lamb when you look at a Catholic mass.

The truth is we don’t know for certain when/if Peter ceased ALL Jewish rituals.

Today the Catholic Church allows all Hebrew Catholics to continue practicing Jewish rituals. The Church sees no conflict with Jews who convert to Catholicism to continue observing their Jewish rituals.

Just to be clear, this official concession doest not extend to any other convert to Catholicism, it only applies to Jewish people converting to Catholicism.

Is your underlining question whether Catholics completely abandoned Jewish traditions or that Peter is some how still a Jew and not a true disciple of Jesus?

If Peter celebrated all the Jewish holy days, why doesn’t the Catholic church do the same as Peter did.

The Catholic church does not celebrate the passover like Jews do or Peter did.

No one said he celebrated ALL of them, you said that no one else- that is your creation no one else’s. Jesus chose to send the Holy Spirit to His disciples on an important Jewish feast day because Jesus is the fulfillment of the Davidic Kingdom it’s why Peter converts 3,000 souls in contrast to Moses and the Levites who kill 3,000 who worshiped the Golden Calf after Moses brings down the Law from God.

+JMJ+

Tacdon, why is it that you strangely keep on getting more and more Catholic every time you make new posts? :slight_smile:

The Catholic Church celebrates the Passover everyday. It’s called the Holy Mass :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.