Did Pope benedict REALLY say this before he was elected pope?

[quote=Petergee]The “filth” the Pope was talking about are those who commit sexual abuse etc. There is nothing sinful per se about “promoting a liberal agenda”.
[/quote]

The ‘filth’ are the sins of those in positions of authority or prominence, not the persons. And why did you mention ‘liberal agenda’? ‘Liberal’ and ‘conservative’ belong in the secular realm and not in talk of Church doctrine, orthodox and heterodox are for Church discussion. Your comment “far-too-common fallacy that liberal is synonymous with unorthodox”, shows that some don’t know the true meaning of words. Some teachings of the Church fall into what the secular world sees as liberal. :rolleyes:

I am conservative in my politics and orthodox in religion. :thumbsup:

Kotton :cool:

[quote=doomhammer]the whole link…
vatican.va/news_services/liturgy/2005/documents/ns_lit_doc_20050325_via-crucis_en.html
[/quote]

There is NOTHING in this link that relates to the above quote, and I went through all 14 stations of the cross to see for sure.

So… until someone can cough up a valid link that offers some context, I’d say that this is spurious quote. And just blow it off…
Pax vobiscum,

are you so sure?
vatican.va/news_services/liturgy/2005/via_crucis/en/station_09.html
just to ease your search:
"PRAYER
Lord, your Church often seems like a boat about to sink, a boat taking in water on every side. In your field we see more weeds than wheat. The soiled garments and face of your Church throw us into confusion. Yet it is we ourselves who have soiled them! It is we who betray you time and time again, after all our lofty words and grand gestures. Have mercy on your Church; within her too, Adam continues to fall. When we fall, we drag you down to earth, and Satan laughs, for he hopes that you will not be able to rise from that fall; he hopes that being dragged down in the fall of your Church, you will remain prostrate and overpowered. But you will rise again. You stood up, you arose and you can also raise us up. Save and sanctify your Church. Save and sanctify us all."
keep discussing! these were my 2cents!

[quote=Kotton]The ‘filth’ are the sins of those in positions of authority or prominence, not the persons. And why did you mention ‘liberal agenda’? ‘Liberal’ and ‘conservative’ belong in the secular realm and not in talk of Church doctrine, orthodox and heterodox are for Church discussion. Your comment “far-too-common fallacy that liberal is synonymous with unorthodox”, shows that some don’t know the true meaning of words. Some teachings of the Church fall into what the secular world sees as liberal. :rolleyes:
[/quote]

I couldn’t agree more. I would never use political terms like “liberal” and “conservative” to refer to religious matters. I was merely pointing out the nonsensicality of Tonyagrace’s doing so, as I quoted. It was Tonygrace who brought up “promoting a liberal agenda” as some sort of “abuse”(!)

I am liberal in my politics and orthodox in religion. :thumbsup:

[quote=doomhammer]are you so sure?
vatican.va/news_services/liturgy/2005/via_crucis/en/station_09.html
[/quote]

just to ease your search:
"PRAYER
Lord, your Church often seems like a boat about to sink, a boat taking in water on every side. In your field we see more weeds than wheat. The soiled garments and face of your Church throw us into confusion. Yet it is we ourselves who have soiled them! It is we who betray you time and time again, after all our lofty words and grand gestures. Have mercy on your Church; within her too, Adam continues to fall. When we fall, we drag you down to earth, and Satan laughs, for he hopes that you will not be able to rise from that fall; he hopes that being dragged down in the fall of your Church, you will remain prostrate and overpowered. But you will rise again. You stood up, you arose and you can also raise us up. Save and sanctify your Church. Save and sanctify us all."
keep discussing! these were my 2cents!Why didn’t these guys link to this to begin with…'cos I looked and searched and it didn’t come up… Oh well.

I’ve seen and heard millions of words from priests of all shades of opinion, but I’ve never heard or seen any priest say these things, and I’m sure the priests I know are as “liberal” as anyone. Would you care to provide some evidence to back up your allegations? I would take it with a huge grain of salt when someone claims that a priest told them their sin is “ok”. People tend to kid themselves and hear what they want to hear.

My my, aren’t we quick to accuse people of lying !!
Well, Petergee, I too have had the revolting experience of
priests encouraging me to commit mortal sin, and explicitly so.
Also, in my RCIA class, our former parish priest ridiculed the papacy, ridiculed John Paul II, ridiculed the Church’s teachings on birth control and other issues, ridiculed the Church’s teachings on the non-ordination of women, taught that baptism wasn’t regenerative, taught that Original Sin is no stain at all, taught that all Christian churches are just as good as Catholicism, mocked and denied the hierarchical structure of the church, etc., etc. I gave my classmates copies of LIFE IN CHRIST (a catechism) at the end of RCIA because “Father” had so horribly misrepresented Catholicism to these NEW CONVERTS.

Don’t kid yourself about the bad priests, Petergee. They’re out there and unfortunately there are plenty of them. And bad bishops too.

Jaypeeto3

[quote=Jaypeeto3]I’ve seen and heard millions of words from priests of all shades of opinion, but I’ve never heard or seen any priest say these things, and I’m sure the priests I know are as “liberal” as anyone. Would you care to provide some evidence to back up your allegations? I would take it with a huge grain of salt when someone claims that a priest told them their sin is “ok”. People tend to kid themselves and hear what they want to hear.

My my, aren’t we quick to accuse people of lying !!
Well, Petergee, I too have had the revolting experience of
priests encouraging me to commit mortal sin, and explicitly so.
Also, in my RCIA class, our former parish priest ridiculed the papacy, ridiculed John Paul II, ridiculed the Church’s teachings on birth control and other issues, ridiculed the Church’s teachings on the non-ordination of women, taught that baptism wasn’t regenerative, taught that Original Sin is no stain at all, taught that all Christian churches are just as good as Catholicism, mocked and denied the hierarchical structure of the church, etc., etc. I gave my classmates copies of LIFE IN CHRIST (a catechism) at the end of RCIA because “Father” had so horribly misrepresented Catholicism to these NEW CONVERTS.

Don’t kid yourself about the bad priests, Petergee. They’re out there and unfortunately there are plenty of them. And bad bishops too.

Jaypeeto3
[/quote]

I didn’t “accuse people of lying”, I said take it with a grain of salt. I know for a fact that people kid themselves that a priest has said their sin is OK (while knowing in their hearts that that was not what the priest meant at all) because I’ve done it myself in the past.

I know full well there are some very bad priests. But I’ve never heard a priest say anything remotely like what you say your former parish priest said; I am truly shocked by that.
Btw you didn’t mention what his political views are.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.