Did Pope Francis Change the Rules for Receiving Communion?

Our priest just stated that everyone is welcome to receive communion no matter their choices in life and that we are not to judge. The Catechism of the Catholic Church states that if we are conscious of having committed a mortal sin and if we haven’t been cleansed of the sin that we are to refrain from receiving Holy Communion. What is currently correct? I hate contradictions and don’t know what to believe or practice any more.

No.

What the Catechism Teaches. The Priest (if he said and meant what is inferred here) - is very wrong.

(and the Pope is as he said ‘a son of the Church’ and has pointed to the Catechism himself - on various topics I would imagine)

No, the pope and the bishops haven’t changed anything.

That said, of course it’s usually better for those of us who are ordinary people in the pews, not to worry too much about who else is receiving and such. We need to keep non-Catholics from receiving, etc., and make sure people are educated about reception of the Eucharist, but it’s not really our business to worry about if people have gone to Confession, etc.

OTOH, a bishop, priest, deacon, or EMHC has to worry about that stuff, if they know anything pertinent. It’s a duty of the office.

Possibly the priest misspoke, or got caught up in making one point and forgot all the cautions. This happens.

The bolded part is correct.

I have also heard something similar to that from a Catholic priest. However, he appeared to be somewhat more liberal than others.

That priest is in error. Our Pope did not and will not change the doctrine.
Everyone in the state of grace is welcome to receive Communion. No one in mortal sin could receive the Eucharist unless he went to confession with intention to change his behavior.

1 Corinthians 11:27: Whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of sinning against the body and blood of the Lord.

The Scripture and the Catechism both said so.

Do not allow a liberal priest in error to confuse you.

Does he still hear confessions?

The doctrines and dogmas of the Church can’t never be changed.

Another thing is that there are bad priests (who knows could be a mason) and these priests want to be all welcoming and nice and not to offend anyone. They celebrate masses decorating the altar with mundane things like football, or rainbows…I have seen many things inside the Church that are contrary to the Church’s teachings, doctrines, dogmas and the natural law.

We gotta form our conscience so that we can discern correctly right from wrong.

NO.

If your priest really did say that then he is absolutely wrong.

Before concluding that he is a “liberal priest” or a “bad priest,” I would approach him and ask about it. Very gently, mind you – “Father, I’m confused. I understood you to say X the other day, but I’ve always been taught Y . . .”

Eastern Orthodox are allowed to receive Holy communion. And their Church allows divorce (under certain conditions) and ABC (under certain conditions). But these are mortal sins in the Roman Catholic church.

Not without qualification:

Canon 844 §3. Catholic ministers administer the sacraments of penance, Eucharist, and anointing of the sick licitly to members of Eastern Churches which do not have full communion with the Catholic Church if they seek such on their own accord **and are properly disposed. **

And therefore such individuals would not be properly disposed.

Properly disposed is a vague and undefined term and in any case, according to the rules of their Church, they are properly disposed. I don;t see the official document validating your interpretation of properly disposed for this case.

He’s right that you and others shouldn’t “judge” and that everyone is welcome.
For sure.

But that doesn’t mean the pope changed any “rules”.
Your priest isn’t saying anything that hasn’t been true all along.

Of course we can judge actions. One of the key missions that Jesus gives His Church is the salvation of souls. The identification and condemnation of sin is necessary for that mission.

I think what the Pope & maybe your priest were talking about is divorced & remarried Catholics who were not allowed to receive Communion.
The Pope was saying that those Catholics should not stay away from Mass & there may be a possibility for them to receive the sacraments. :shrug:

I was under the impression that they felt the Western practice of communion without confession has become a “decadent” practice.

orthodoxengland.org.uk/confessio.htm

I am the OP on this subject and I just want to say first of all that our priest is not a liberal. I love him!!! But I really need to discuss this subject with him. You know, I have come to believe that those who are not permitted by the Catechism to receive Communion are often those who would benefit most by receiving. That being said, I also believe that we should all obey the Catechism of the Catholic Church until the Pope officially changes the rules.

Our priest still hears Confessions and I was thinking during mass that if even those in mortal sin (although those two words were not mentioned in the homily) are now welcome to receive Communion, what becomes of the sacrament of Reconciliation?

One can consider the culpability aspect of grave sin somewhat vague too. Human nature being what it is, many grave offenses can be rationalized by “I really didn’t know it was that serious” or “I really didn’t give full consent” or “I really was driven by force of habit” etc etc. In these cases, confession is still advised, just to be sure. Personally I think confession before all communion has a lot of merit to it.

Properly disposed can also be extended to fulfilling the required one hour fast among other things. For example, how much attention can you give Christ after having a huge fight with your spouse or after getting a traffic ticket? Things like that can and do happen and one himself should know he should simply try to regain a certain composure before he receives, perhaps later that morning?

Well said. I think many have forgotten who is the One we receive in Holy Communion.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.