Did Pope Francis Endorse Breast Feeding in the Sistine Chapel? 5 things to know and share [Akin]

jimmyakin.com/wp-content/uploads/pope-francis-baptizes-a-baby-300x168.jpgThe Interwebz are ablaze with the story that Pope Francis encouraged breastfeeding—and in the Sistine Chapel of all places!

What did he say? And what did he mean?

Here are 5 things to know and share . . .

1) When did Pope Francis make his remarks?

It was Sunday, January 12, the commemoration of the Baptism of the Lord.

He was in the Sistine Chapel, where he baptized 32 babies.

It is customary for Popes to perform baptisms on this day.

We’ve talked about that before.

He took the occasion to give a brief homily.

It’s online in Italian here, but the full English translation is not up yet.

2) What did he say?

According to a Vatican Radio story:

The Holy Father concluded his homily with a special word of affection for the newly baptized children.

“Today the choir sings,” he said, “but the most beautiful choir is [the choir] of children” making noise.

He continued, “Some are crying, because they are uncomfortable, or because they are hungry. If they are hungry, mothers, give them something to eat… they are the central figures, the protagonists [of this celebration].”

It was with this “awareness of being the transmitters of faith” that Pope Francis continued on to the ceremony of Baptism.

3) Wait. He didn’t mention breastfeeding. Is this story being distorted?

KEEP READING.

feeds.feedburner.com/~ff/jimmyakin/HPRf?d=yIl2AUoC8zA
http://feeds.feedburner.com/~r/jimmyakin/HPRf/~4/b8K5kFqfm9Y

More…

Mums don’t need permission from anyone to feed their children, and done quietly without fuss most people would be unaware of what was going on except perhaps that a noisy baby was suddenly quiet. Modern nursing tops are both comfortable and discreet and even a scarf draped over the shoulder can suffice.

But it was kind of Pope Francis to endorse breast feeding so openly if only to encourage other, sillier people, to let mothers get on with nurturing their babies.

Many years ago I saw a show about the cleaning of the Sistine Chapel, and they had uncovered a painting depicting Mary breastfeeding her Divine Son :slight_smile:

When a baby is hungry a mom feeds it, no matter where she is. It can be done very nicly. I have fed my babies many times in Church and no one was the wiser except the baby. It is God’s design after all. And I nursed all 7 of mine. God Bless, Memaw

I can believe anyone finds* anything* wrong with this… SHOCKING!!

I think the original poster was being somewhat excitable and probably more interested in promoting his “secrets” site than anything else…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.