Did Pope Francis say that Jesus is just a man

A friend of my daughter, who has a brain disease and was so dedicated to our Lord and His Mother, has posted that Pope Francis said “Jesus is not a spirit! Jesus is a person, a man”.

Does any knowledgeable Catholic know where this quote supposedly came from.

My daughter thinks of this man as an idol and believes whatever he tells her. He has led her to conspiracy theories about the US, aliens, reptilians etc. Because of her medical condition she is now obsessed with this stuff and researches all these blogs.

He now tells her and warns all Catholics they are going to hell. He is not baptized, never really has gone to any church and uses her for prescription medications, money (she doesn’t really have) and hasn’t worked in over two years.

One can’t speak to her about anything he has put into her mind, as she gets very angry and you can’t reason with her. I understand that this is part of her disease, but it is a great worry. I need to know if our Holy Father said anything like this or as usual the media twists most of his speeches.

Thanks.

Yours in the Hearts of Jesus and Mary

Bernadette

The quote supplied doesn’t say Jesus is just a man, but that he is a man. Which is something that all Catholics profess. If the Holy Father said that, he was merely echoing the teaching of the Church.

It’s probably from this article from Vatican Radio, although it’s not a “quote.”
Jesus has saved us, he said, with his prayers, with his sacrifice, with his life. He is gone now and he continues to pray – the Pope said – but does that mean that Jesus is a spirit? Jesus – he underlined – is not a spirit! He is a person, a man with flesh like our flesh, but in the glory of God. He said Jesus has wounds on his hands, on his feet and on his side. And when he prays he shows the Father the price of our salvation. Pope Francis said: “it is as if he is saying: Father, may this not be lost!”Vatican Radio website

The idea is actually a paraphrase of Christ himself, after having risen, said:See my hands and my feet, that it is I myself; handle me, and see; for a spirit has not flesh and bones as you see that I have. (Luke 24:39)

Is it your daughter who has the brain injury, or the man she idolizes. If your daughter, first my sympathy and best wishes for her health; second, you have a responsibility to limit or completely cut off her contact with this man. Your daughter’s injury may make her too naive to understand and handle his “conspiracy theories”.

If, however, it is the man who has theses injuries, then you should still limit his contact, but also help your daughter understand the nature of his disability.

My daughter is an adult living in her own place. There is no way that I can even approach her on any of these issues. Also I know certain things that are unknown to her about this relationship.

Parents can only do so much and apparently she feels or has actually said that God sent him as an angel to her. Unless one is familiar with brain diseases it is difficult to understand how their mind works. I have gotten into some of the issue before with her and it ends very badly. So far she has not brought up the Catholic faith and she might never for fear of what I will say.

The only thing I can really do is pray that something happens and the man finds someone else, although it will break her heart. On his side it is all a spiritual soul relationship, but she is in love with him. He has been kind to her and knows how to manipulate her, nothing I have said to her will change her mind at this point.

Please just pray for her that her eyes might be opened.

God Bless

Bernadette

Did the Pope really say that?
I don’t know, but just pretend-
ing that Pope did say that:
I think what the Pope was saying is that Jesus is not some far off, non-relatable, or
intangible being, but he came incarnate to the world as a man. Jesus was & is still
God, 100% God, but it is also a Fundamental Christology that Jesus is 100% Man
as well, hence the Hypostasis.

Jesus also once spoke of God (The Father) saying that, “God is Spirit” (John 4:24),
this again being of the Father, who never was/is/shall be a man. Jesus, however, de-
spite being the Divine Creator and same Being as the Father, came to be Man, still
God, but Man nonetheless.

In Becoming Man, Christ has reconciled & united God with Man, so whether or not
Pope Francis ever said that Jesus was man not spirit, I don’t believe the statement
is of any harm to Christianity, UNLESS it is used the wrong way, context being ev-
erything.

Ah, I did not realize she was your adult daughter.

Parents can only do so much and apparently she feels or has actually said that God sent him as an angel to her. Unless one is familiar with brain diseases it is difficult to understand how their mind works. I have gotten into some of the issue before with her and it ends very badly. So far she has not brought up the Catholic faith and she might never for fear of what I will say.

The only thing I can really do is pray that something happens and the man finds someone else, although it will break her heart. On his side it is all a spiritual soul relationship, but she is in love with him. He has been kind to her and knows how to manipulate her, nothing I have said to her will change her mind at this point.

Please just pray for her that her eyes might be opened.

God Bless

Bernadette

I don’t know if it will offer any comfort, but her illness may make her less culpable for holding these strange and irrational beliefs this man hoists on her. God does not punish those who are incapable of understanding (although whoa to he who leads the vulnerable astray… after Matthew 18:6).

I will of course pray for her proper understanding…

Thank you for your prayers. She was so into Catholic devotionals etc, however, no real knowledge of the early Church Fathers or that Satan cannot enter the Churches doctrine and change it. Of course there are evil people within the Church, but they are also in every denomination that exists.

God Bless

Bernadette

**the Catholic monk, brother Dimond, totally destroys the heretical arguments of the calvinist in this debate. Here is the link to that debate…

youtube.com/watch?v=Qn1vC1Ez-OI

To learn more about brother Dimond, his Monastery and the true teachings of our Lord, Jesus Christ, then please visit VaticanCatholic.com or MostHolyFamilyMonastery.com **

The quote as you cited it is entirely orthodox and doesn’t say that Jesus is “just a man.” It’s an affirmation of Our Lord’s real humanity and a rejection of the heresy of Docetism.

Edwin

Yes we understand this, however this friend means that the Pope thinks Christ was not fully God and fully man, only a man and believes he is the anti Christ and that all Catholics are going to hell.

It has gotten so bad and it is a real worry as she doesn’t have the capacity to think for herself, as she really believes God sent him to her as her angel or spiritual soul mate

He was very nice to her and her ex-boyfriend has treated her very badly, so of course, his kindness has drawn her in. Many with her problem get obsessed with issues and I believe that he is just manipulating her, as he is a real loser and she has done everything for him.

She has a therapist, who said she won’t give up on her, but I can’t be really upfront with her as she can tell my daughter anything I say. I do tell her what I can in a general way so she knows what she is really dealing with.

Are you in TEC or a Continuing group? I left TEC many years ago and have found peace, no more issues that really effect me now. I wish that the Continuum would join forces, instead of being separate and don’t really understand why they can’t as they were once “one” community.

God Bless

Bernadette

TEC. The main reason I have remained Anglican at all is out of a desire not to separate from the Christians I’m currently in communion with.

It’s me, not Edwin. He you may find as a pew mate, in the near future.

I wish the Continuum would get its act together myself. Small steps are under way. But then, they often have been.

I am greatly sorry to hear of the situation you discuss in this thread.

GKC

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.