Did Pope Francis say that Jesus was a Failure

I have read that many non Catholic Christians are saying that Pope Francis said that Jesus was a failure. Can someone clarify this?

Also they criticize him for not speaking about Jesus and also saying he (the Pope) came in his own name.

It is confusing. Hopefully someone has the actual speeches Pope Francis has made. I know he is into the social aspect, however, that is only part of being a Christian and it concerns me that these people feel he is possibly the anti Christ.

Yours in the Hearts of Jesus and Mary

Bernadette

Catholic Answers Apologist Jimmy Akin has already addressed this question:

[Akin]

The operative (but often overlooked) words being,

And if at times our efforts and works seem to fail and produce no fruit, we need to remember that we are followers of Jesus… and his life, humanly speaking, ended in failure, in the failure of the cross.

The REALLY operative words are

humanly speaking, ended in failure

Humanly speaking, of course Our Lord’s ministry ended in complete failure - he died on a Roman cross.

In the eyes of the world, Christ was a failure. He was crucified, his own followers denied Him. On the third day, Christ triumphed over death in a way that no other had ever done.

There are many anti-Catholics out there, and that’s the true motivation behind the remarks. The pope said that Jesus was a failure “humanly speaking”, which He was. In a world that values wealth, power, stautus, and success, our humble hero ended up humiliated, tortured, and nailed to a cross until dead. He rejected and countered our selfish values, that lead to untold harm. We know that He rose from and triumphed over that state, but the world doesn’t have to embrace and believe in the brilliant light He’s shown us. Any true Christian should understand the pope’s remarks.

Some also believe that, for Catholics, the pope stands between us and Christ, whereas we know him to simply be a fellow believer who’s been given a special role to play of maintaining unity within the Christian faith.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.