Did Pope Francis say this?

One of my friends shared a picture of him on facebook attached with a quote supposedly said by Pope Francis.

It stated that you don’t have to believe in God to be a good person (I agree with this). The traditional notion of God is outdated. You don’t have to attend church or give money - nature is some peoples church. Good deeds have been done by those who don’t believe and evils in Gods name (I agree with this)

While I agree with some of the statements, I can’t see him saying some of this or at least in the way its been quoted. Does anyone know if this is actually a quote of pope Francis?

By the way I am writing it from memory, so it won’t be exact. It also said you can be spiritual but not religious

:popcorn:, Oh boy, reruns.

Without going into the difficulties of why it is hard to prove something never happened (I doubt anyone has a recording of absolutely eveything Pope Francis has ever said) I would say this is probably not a quote of his because some of it is completely against what we believe as Catholics

We already know that this is fiction because it’s been discussed here before, but if you can get your friend to cite a source we can then show you (and him) that that source cannot be trusted.

Sorry I didn’t realise it had been discussed before. She shared it via facebook so I doubt even she will know the original source.

LOL

Don’t believe everything you hear in the media, let alone social media. It even sounds like these quotes were just completely made up.

Pope Francis has said that the media has misquoted him, and recently different media outlets have admitted to misquoting him in recent stories.

People with a “leftist” agenda are trying to mold his public image to suit their purposes. The problem is that when you actually READ what Pope Francis has said, he’s neither left wing or right wing. He’s Catholic.

spectator.co.uk/features/9112081/the-fantasy-francis/

And check out what Pope Francis said in his closing speech, on the final day of the recent Synod, which the media completely ignored:

"The temptation to a destructive tendency to goodness [it. buonismo], that in the name of a deceptive mercy binds the wounds without first curing them and treating them; that treats the symptoms and not the causes and the roots. It is the temptation of the “do-gooders,” of the fearful, and also of the so-called “progressives and liberals.”

The temptation to come down off the Cross, to please the people, and not stay there, in order to fulfil the will of the Father; to bow down to a worldly spirit instead of purifying it and bending it to the Spirit of God.

The temptation to neglect the “depositum fidei” [the deposit of faith, i.e. the teachings of Jesus in Scripture and Tradition], not thinking of themselves as guardians but as owners or masters [of it]; or, on the other hand, the temptation to neglect reality, making use of meticulous language and a language of smoothing to say so many things and to say nothing! They call them “byzantinisms,” I think, these things…

Dear brothers and sisters, the temptations must not frighten or disconcert us, or even discourage us, because no disciple is greater than his master; so if Jesus Himself was tempted – and even called Beelzebul (cf. Mt 12:24) – His disciples should not expect better treatment.

en.radiovaticana.va/news/2014/10/18/pope_francis_speech_at_the_conclusion_of_the_synod/1108944

Btw, notice that my source is a direct quote from Vatican Radio. He says progressives have a “deceptive mercy” that tries to “bind the wounds” without “curing the cause.”

Strange how the media never reported on THESE comments from the Synod!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.