Did Saint George or any other Military Saints ever fight in battle?

So I was thinking, did Saint George or any other military Saint ever actually fight in combat? I read St.Joan of Arc never even carried a weapon. Did any military Saints ever see combat?

If memory serves, both St. Francis Assisi and St. Ignatius Loyola became profoundly religious due to their experiences in war. St. Francis’s “conversion” (of sorts, he had always been Catholic, but not very observant as a young man) occurred while he had been a prisoner of war. Ignatius had been severely wounded which left him with a limp.

St.Michael.
St. Ignatius of Loyola.
The Martyrs of Armorian.
St. Sebastian.
St. George.
St. Martin of Tours.
Sts. Ursus and Victor.
St. Theophilus the Younger.
St. Santius.
St. Maurice and companions,martyrs.
St. Louis of France.
St. Longinus.
St. Julius.
St. Ladislaus.
St. Jerome Emiliani.
St. Henry, Emperor.
St. Jules, martyr.
St. Guibert.
St. Edmund, King and martyr.
St. Acasius.
St. Candidus and companions, martyrs.
St. Camillus de Lelis.
St. Anthemius, bishop who accompanied Charlemagne’s troops as chaplain, killed on the battlefield.
St. Julian of Brioude.

Did all of these Saints fight in battle?

Did all of these saints fight in battle?

Yes. (That’s why I omitted St. Barbara, though she is the patron saint, because she didn’t personally fight; ditto with St. Joan of Arc. And that’s why I put the notification on the bishop who was present as chaplain with the troops and died in the battle, because we don’t know if he died while defending himself or not.)

All the others were in the military, had military training in the case of St. Santius who was captured by Muslims and died professing his Christian faith, or personally led battles (as in Kings and Emperors.)

Tantum Ergo:

Why is such a prominent and illustrious name as St. Francis of Assisi omitted from your list? I just verified online that the account I gave to “Bacon Man” was indeed basically correct. You disagree?

No, not at all. I had noticed you already had listed him and St. Ignatius. I had originally had St. Francis on my list and I crossed him off, so to speak, because he’d already been mentioned by you. Unfortunately I forgot to omit St. Ignatius; if I had done so, I think it would have been more obvious that I was adding to your list!

Make sense?

St. Joan of Arc did actually fight in battle. She led the French troops into battle, numerous times… carrying a banner which read “Jesus Mary”… and fought beside them. She was wounded (arrow through her right breast, I believe) and captured by the enemy. Who put her to death… by burning at the stake. I don’t think she had even reached the age of 20.

St. Joan of Arc, pray for us! :knight1:

Yes, but I read she never even carried a weapon, can someone find something to prove this false? And according to wikipedia she was shot in the neck with an arrow.

Also, there were saints who preached crusades, rallied troops for battle and actually led troops into battle, even if they did not themselves fight. Two of them:

St. John of Capistrano (1386-1456): Franciscan priest and miracle worker. John preached Crusade against the Turks after the fall of Constantinople, and, at the behest of Pope Callistus II, he led the Christian army of 70,000 to victory at the age of 70. He died in the field in October of 1456. Pope Alexander VIII canonized him in 1690.

St. Lawrence of Brindisi (1559-1619): Franciscan Capuchin friar, military chaplain. In 1601, Lawrence rallied the German princes against the superior Turkish foe and led the army into battle, carrying no weapon but a crucifix. The Turks lost. He was canonized in 1881 by Pope Leo XIII, and named a Doctor of the Church by Bl. Pope John XXIII in 1959.

Plus: since 1940, four U.S. military chaplains have won the Congressional Medal of Honor (two posthumously), and every one was a Catholic priest. One of the posthumous winners, Fr. Vincent Capodanno (killed in Vietnam in 1967), has a cause for sainthood under way.

“bacon man”… I don’t know if Joan actually used a sword, herself in battle. But of course, she is often depicted holding a sword. She had been told in her visions, of a sword… buried behind the altar in the chapel of Ste-Catherine-de-Fierbois. And the history goes… that the sword was found, and brought to her. Whether or not she actually used it in battle… Hmm. I don’t know. :shrug: 3 of the descendants of her brother, Pierre… claimed to have in their possession… a sword that she had worn. Of course, that still doesn’t clarify whether or not she USED a sword.

As to the injuries she received, there have discussions on the whereabouts of St. Joan of Arc’s white armor… which she wore into battle. If found, they could be recognized by the following things. There would be a dent in the helmet that occurred when Joan was hit on the head by the stone at Jargeau. There would be a patch in the breastplate from the arrow that pierced her at Orleans. Also the breastplate would have a rounded feminine contour. Finally one of the thigh plates would be severely damaged, maybe even cracked, by the impact of the crossbow bolt that hit her when she was before Paris.

I would be careful about believing any “facts” you find on Wikipedia. They aren’t always that accurate.

Hope this helps.

http://www.catholicgreetings.org/card_images/631.jpg

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.