Did St. John Chyrsostom really say this?

The road to hell is paved with the skulls of priests and bishops is a quote I hear that St. John Chrysostom has allegedly said.

Any credible evidence that he actually said it?

I’m not sure, but sentiment expressed is true. Bishops and priests are entrusted with much and therefore they will be judged more harshly (to whom much is given, much will be required.) This is why St. Robert Bellarmine said the bishops are the shoulders of the Church–they bear the greatest burden. When a bishop or priest does a faithful job, they will be rewarded greatly as they will produce great eternal fruits. However, often times bishops and priests become worldly and this was what St. John Chrysostom was warning about.

Also remember that there were a lot of heretical ideas floating around at that time. The Church was in constant battle over these different movement and some even had direct consquences on Chyrsostom and those he knew.

Joe

**I’ve heard that he did say it. **
I’ve also read that it is a quote from Dante.
I would tend to agree with Genesis315 about WHY he said it.

Anybody have the work the quote supposedly came from?

“The Early Church Fathers” disk I have from harmony media isn’t all inclusive by any stretch, but the only place I find road and bishop near each other is in a Eulogy and it is anything remotely like the quote mentioned.

Even Saint John Eudes tells us: ‘The road to hell is paved with the skulls of bishops’. This is a take on Saint Athanasius’ original statement: “The floor of hell is covered with the skulls of bishops.”

dailycatholic.org/issue/2002Apr/apr3fms.htm

No you can’t. What about quoting also the holy Doctors of the Church who kept the Faith burning in the midst of the greatest heresy up until present time? Saint Athanasius and Saint John Chrysostom asserted, that “the floor of hell is paved with the skulls of rotten bishops.” They were, of course, speaking of the **Arian bishops **who sold out Christ and His Church.

dailycatholic.org/issue/04May/may11ed.htm

google.com/search?hl=en&q=road+to+hell+is+paved+with+the+skulls+&btnG=Google+Search

None of these seem to indicate the actual source either?

Chuck

No sources are given, I search the new advent site and neither quote appears anywhere in writing.

I would treat it as hearsay.

But, the part about the bishops being arian makes sense.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.