Did the "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" TV series push the homosexual agenda too much?

The show did feature a lesbian couple.

“Gay people exist” is not an agenda, it’s a fact of the world.

I don’t remember the show that well. I don’t recall a “featured” lesbian couple. Based on what I do recall, I somewhat amazed that this is what you find most morally concerning about the show. The show blatantly glorified fornication in more episodes than not and most of the characters were depicted as minors. But what’s really bothersome is the lesbian couple?

Willow and Tara.

Allegra, how did Buffy the Vampire Slayer glorify fornication?

Here, someone has done the world the tremendous, life-altering favor of summarizing the entire series on Wikipedia. Have at it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffy_the_Vampire_Slayer#Storylines

I don’t think I got to see Tara. According to Wikipedia, she didn’t show up until season four. By season three I was an adult with things like rent and car insurance to worry about. Plus, I had moved to another city and my rabbit ears couldn’t pick up WB. Ah the fleetingness of youth. So, I guess the answer to the OPs question is the just stick with the entirely wholesome, gay-free, first three seasons of Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Well, same way many others shows also glorify it. By depicting important “good” characters (that the viewer is supposed to identify with, or admire, or root for) as fornicating. And then by depicting that fornication as fun, cool, exciting, interesting, deep, meaningful, etc. And especially: by simply eliminating marriage from the conceptual landscape altogether, and depicting a world in which fornication is the normal way of romantic interaction between men and women. Marriage never even gets considered, and fornication is fully assumed to be perfectly fine, hiding under the name of a “relationship”.

What makes you ask, @Maxirad? What is your opinion?

Agree. I loathe the phrase “homosexual agenda”.

The series is on DVD. It can be bought complete or each season individually. This is one instance I’d go for the individual seasons.

Throwing out random questions with no follow up is kinda his thing. :man_shrugging:

Or just watch whatever you want and accept that it’s just a tv show, not a basis for morality. A well formed adult can handle a depiction of a lesbian couple without falling to pieces, I’m sure.

Yes. Sad that they made Willow gay after her failed relationship with Oz.

I was never into Buffy but I’ve noticed that that scenario is used often. Both tv shows, Avatar:The Legend of Korra and South of Nowhere featured it. Does this sort of thing garner higher ratings?

There are individuals and organizations out there that make it their goal to promote the idea that homosexuality is perfectly fine in every possible respect, and that there can be no valid basis for considering it an aberration in any way. That’s an agenda, whether you agree with it or not. (And the Catholic Church obviously doesn’t.) The observation that “gay people exist”, is irrelevant.

Or stream the episodes you want on Netflix. At least it used to be on there?

I always thought the spin-off series Angel was the better show anyway. Buffy season 4-7 is hit and miss (and no not because of a gay couple). Angel is gold all the way through…except arguably season 4. The whoring, slothful 18th century Irishman who becomes the most monstrous vampire in Europe who then becomes a self-sacrificial hero… lots of good stuff for a Catholic to consider.

Ah fair enough, the fact gay people have varied outlooks on many things seems to be going out the window here. One pictures an image of gay people sitting in a super-villain lair talking about how they need to advance the ‘gay agenda’ before Superman realizes it exists complete with slides of them performing deeds in aid of it been flashed on a screen.

Right, but the example actually given in the OP is “there is a lesbian couple in the show.”

That is literally decrying as “homosexual agenda” the fact that people are sometimes gay (in reality, and therefore in our fiction).

Always loved Angel. So glad he got his own show.

Yeah, my only concern with gay characters in fiction is that they are written as characters first. I can think of some characters who are and who are genuinely well developed and others, well the word token or the term ‘cardboard cutout’ comes to mind.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.