Did The Catholic Church Compile The Bible?

How do we prove that the Catholic Church compiled the Bible?

Thanks, and God Bless!

“The complete canon of Scripture was first recognized by the Roman Synod convoked by Pope Damasus in 382 A. D., which produced the Roman Code. The Code contained the list of Holy Scripture. Pope Damasus confirmed the Synod and Code. The Council of Hippo (393 A.D.) and the First Council of Carthage (397 A.D.) provided identical lists of Scripture. Pope Innocent I confirmed the list again in 405 A.D. when the Gallican bishop Exsuperius of Toulouse asked him what books should be considered Scripture, and the replied by Pope sending him a letter containing a list identical to every definition so far given. The Second Council of Carthage (419 A.D.) confirmed the list yet again. All five definitions were identical to the Council of Trent’s. In fact, every council between 393 A.D. and 1965 A.D. (Vatican II) which pronounced on the matter gave an identical list.”

I just read this today and thought it was cool :wink:

Its from a website called Scriptural Catholicism. Address bridegroompress…

Authored by Steven Kellmeyer

Michael

[quote="vincent10395, post:1, topic:345046"]
How do we prove that the Catholic Church compiled the Bible?

Thanks, and God Bless!

[/quote]

we know because its recorded in history, as you can see the post above mine.

not only did the Catholic Church compile it, we also brought it through the centuries thanks to monks off in monasteries hand copying the bible so future generations could have it.

I highly recommend for this topic Gary Michuta's Why Catholic Bibles Are Bigger book. It contains numerous quotations - i.e. source material - for the early Christians (who are in turn identifiable with the Catholic Church) and which books they received in their respective communities or regions. It can be seen to have reached some consistency in current form in the late 4th/early 5th centuries at synods at Rome, Carthage, and Hippo - which have been certified at subsequent councils addressing the subject, including at ecumenical councils at Florence and Trent in the 15th and 16th centuries, respectively.

Thank you guys!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.