Did the dog have to say Amen before he received Holy Communion?

thestar.com/news/gta/article/838717–can-a-dog-receive-communion?bn=1

Are there rubrics for this in the Anglican church? Did the dog go through an Anglican RCIA type of instruction, or was he a cradle?

I don’t know that saying “Amen” is required, at least not in the Episcopal Church in the USA. Not sure about the Anglican Church at large. Generally there is no Real Presence at issue, so perhaps that’s why?

Ahh. I thought Anglicans did have belief in the RP, at least a stated one. Maybe there are variants of some that do hold it, and others that do not.
It seems to me that this would not be surprising if it were commonplace, or cause a stir if this was a widespread practice. Apparently, this is causing a bit of a stir.

Many (maybe most) Anglicans do hold to it. I’ve never met one who doesn’t. Many people on this forum just like to tell us that we don’t really have it, whether we believe in it or not. :rolleyes::mad:

You know what, this is so silly, I’m unsubscribing.

Since posting this thread, I noticed the topic has been posted elsewhere on the forum. That is my fault for not searching for a related thread before starting this one. I am glad I was correct in understanding that Anglicans do believe in the RP.
None of us can avoid those who wish to tell us what we have or don’t have. It is something I have gotten used to, but it never fails to frustrate.
My advice? Just smile and wave. Take it for what it may be worth.

Good advice. I can go with that. :thumbsup:

:):wave:

Maybe this will help. A priest in TEC explained it this way to me. Episcopalians believe Jesus is truly present in the bread and wine consecrated in the Eucharist. The Communion minister says to the person receiving, "The Body of Christ, the Bread of Heaven. The Blood of Christ, the Cup of Salvation. To each which the communicant responds “Amen”.

All that aside he told me, no one is interrogating anyone when they come forward. If anyone feels so called to come forward and to receive then so be it.

And to that I say Amen.

Peace.

I got a chuckle out of the topic title. Despite how this issue has been discussed almost to the point that this is a beaten dead horse and people are clearly getting fed up with it, you have to appreciate a good joke. Lighten up, people! :stuck_out_tongue:

Well the news I heard is that the Eucharist completely healed the dog’s parvo so he’s totally healed. The cat that followed behind him decided to bow and say the Athanasian Creed in place of “Amen” to which the other parishoners nudged him on. He was holding up the line. Fellowship was at PetSmart not long after. Coffee hour and some Frontline were served.

Hey, you may be at risk for a complaint for making a person laugh too hard now!

I really don’t consider it all that many steps removed from a Catholic Church being full of animals to be blessed …which I see on a yearly basis. Both seem silly exercises.

Come on now…you’re talking to a guy who just rescued a three-week-old kitten from the park and nursed her back to health, my new little buddy :slight_smile:

Rescuing an animal and nursing it back to health is a very selfless act, and commendable one if one is able to do so. I do hope your kitten is thriving. I seem to end up rescuing birds for some reason. I had to retrieve one stuck under a sewer drain once, that was the hardest one. The rest just came into my path I guess.

Come on now…you’re talking to a guy who just rescued a three-week-old kitten from the park and nursed her back to health, my new little buddy

Just like my two-week old kitten that is now about 8 months and is a terror with his rambunctious ways. Love him to death though. :slight_smile:

Seriously though, I don’t understand the blessings of animals. My parents’ parish priest used to do this, but now they have a cassock and lace-wearing priest who uses dangerous war metaphors in his homilies (and he’s only 20-something!) so the pet blessings have ceased. I mean, animals are incapable of reason, so they are incapable of sin. What need is there to bless them except that we put undue affection upon our pets? I mean, I love my cat and am truly worried that I’m going to have to find a home for him when I move because I can’t afford the $300 pet deposit on top of everything else, but do I worry about his soul? No. Am I concerned that he’s going to wind up becoming a whoring and sodomizing sinner? No. He’s just Baxter and the only thing he needs to worry about is me cutting his legs off when he tries to bat my rosary around.

My wife wasn’t happy with me. She said if it weren’t for her (:shrug:) that I’d have an SPCA at my house. She argued with me about the cat but I won out! :thumbsup::stuck_out_tongue:

She really fell in love with the little girl. Only three weeks old and abandoned. It’s about 104 degrees here in the valley right now so the little girl would’ve died from heat stroke or starvation or carried off by an owl in 24 hours.

It’s a long story but I had to take her to the animal hospital because she had contusions to her lungs. They didn’t expect her to make it. $200 plus a steady dose of rosaries and prayer and they were shocked at the emergency animal hospital that she even lived through the night. She got stronger and stronger and now is a spitfire. She runs all over the place, eats like a pig, my son loves her (the other two are scared of her, they’re too young LOL), and my wife has grown to love her, too.

My wife’s from the Philippines and she’ll be the first to admit that animals don’t enter their thinking much. When I was in the Philippines a month ago, I was appauled and sickened to see how they treat animals. The fact that my wife loves our dog, two other cats, and this kitten as much as she does AND is always taking such great care of them is one piece of “Americanization” that I really appreciate! We live in the central valley of California. There is an overabundance of read neck hillbillies that hate cats. I’m in a minority here! :stuck_out_tongue: I love all animals. As far as animals go, I’m a total liberal! :slight_smile:

Glad the wife is on board now. What a generous person to sacrifice so much financially for this suffering animal! I’m sure a few sleepless nights as well.
I’m thinking it would be St. Francis of Assisi that would be a saint to get a medal of to put on her collar with her rabies tag. Not sure you can add that to the microchip though.

I tip my hat :tiphat: to anyone who can keep up with that many kids *and *pets! Wow!

PS - “Down here in these here parts,” rednecks and hillbillies are two diffrunt thangs. /drawl :smiley:

I shudder to think what I am called in those there parts as a resident of Chicago.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.