Did the Good Thief go to Purgatory?

I am currently having discussions with one of my Protestant friends about the doctrine of Purgatory. I have plenty of Scriptural evidence to give her for this doctrine, but last night she asked me a question that I need a little help and insight on how to answer her. Her words were along the lines of, "On the cross, Jesus said, "It is finished." He told the theif "ON THIS DAY, you shall be with me in paradise." "

I know enough to recognize that the theif was given an amazing gift of grace and repentance. But then it begs the question, didn't that theif have sins that needed to be atoned for? Shouldn't he have gone to purgatory? We can never underestimate the mercy of God, but what was it about that thief that got him out of going to purgatory?

The following links should help you better understand the Church’s teaching on the Good Thief. If you have any further questions, please contact Catholic Answers directly.

Recommended Reading:

How did the good thief get to heaven if he was not baptized?
Didn’t the good thief go to heaven without works?
Some info on Christ’s promise to the good thief?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.