Did the Holy Spirit choose the bad popes we've had in the past?

Lets face it, we’ve had some choice popes in our history. And we believe that the Holy Spirit works through the Church to elect a new Pope, so why did we have these bad popes?

God Bless!

Catholics believe the Holy Spirit ensures that what the Pope and Magisterium teach as doctrine is true. I’m unaware that the Church teaches that the Holy Spirit chooses/controls who will be chosen Pope.

The Holy Spirit does not elect the Pope. While the Holy Spirit guides the Bishops as a whole, the Holy Spirit does not protect the Church from sin, bad decisions, or corruption. The Holy Spirit only protects the Church from heresy.

God Bless

Thank you guys for clearing up my misunderstanding on this matter.

God Bless!

Does the Holy Spirit pick the pope? Ratzinger didn’t think so.

Perhaps the classic expression of this idea belongs to none other than the outgoing pope, Benedict XVI, who as Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger was asked on Bavarian television in 1997 if the Holy Spirit is responsible for who gets elected. This was his response:
I would not say so, in the sense that the Holy Spirit picks out the Pope. … I would say that the Spirit does not exactly take control of the affair, but rather like a good educator, as it were, leaves us much space, much freedom, without entirely abandoning us. Thus the Spirit’s role should be understood in a much more elastic sense, not that he dictates the candidate for whom one must vote. Probably the only assurance he offers is that the thing cannot be totally ruined.
Then the clincher:
There are too many contrary instances of popes the Holy Spirit obviously would not have picked!

I love this quote from Pope Benedict XVI:

Probably the only assurance he offers is that the thing cannot be totally ruined.

That about sums it up!

phil19034
While the Holy Spirit guides the Bishops as a whole, the Holy Spirit does not protect the Church from sin,

False with regard to sin for the Holy Spirit protects the Church which is unfailingly holy.

In First Things (November 1997), Harvard Law Professor Mary Ann Glendon wrote that “the Pope himself has acknowledged the mistakes and sins of Christians in connection with, among other things, the Crusades, the Inquisition, persecution of the Jews, religious wars, Galileo, and the treatment of women. Thus, though the Pope himself is careful to speak of sin or error on the part of the Church’s members or representatives, rather than the Church in its fullness, that important theological distinction is almost always lost in the transmission.”

It is vital to understand that the Pope never apologises for the Church which is “held, as a matter of faith, to be unfailingly holy.” [Vatican II, *Lumen Gentium, art 39].

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.