Did the Jews Understand Jesus’ Prediction of His Resurrection Better Than the Apostles?

the chief priests and the Pharisees gathered before Pilate and said, “Sir, we remember that this impostor while still alive said, 'After three days I will be raised Give orders, then, that the grave be secured until the third day, lest his disciples come and steal him and say to the people, ‘He has been raised from the dead.’ This last imposture would be worse than the first.” – Matthew 27:62-64

It seems they did understand the prophecy better than the apostles even though Jesus gave several specific predictions to the apostles in private?

The Jewish leaders clearly understood this as a false prophecy. Notice that they were concerned that the disciples would “steal his body”, then claim the prophecy had been fulfilled. If they thought this was a true prophecy, would they have even had him crucified in the first place? I don’t think so! Finally, if they thought it was a true prophecy, wouldn’t they be at the tomb on the third day, repenting in sackcloth and ashes for their unbelief? Either that, or be waiting to try and kill him again when he did rise from the dead. Clearly, they did not believe this was a true prophecy!

Thanks for your response :slight_smile:

Whether the Jews believed in Jesus’ prediction is not the issue. My point is apparently the Jews understood Jesus’ prediction better than the apostles even though Jesus told the apostles more explicitly in private what would happen to him…

They (the Pharisees) were scholars of the scriptures and the disciples were more the fisherman/tax collector class of the day. It is very possible, what you say is true. But if you notice the Lord Jesus revealed His risen self to those who loved Him, and not to the Pharisees. It seems that He cares about those who love Him that they have Faith and believe in Him and who He is. And those who hate Him as like the Pharisees did, He had no regard for.

This account about the pharisees asking for a guard may not be true. Jesus was only in the grave for a day and a half. He was put in the grave Friday before nightfall, in the grave Saturday and two of the women went to his grave at sunrise the first day of the week Sunday and he was already risen.

From what I have read Jesus’ apostles did not fully understand he would be risen and the only sign according to Jesus would be the sign of Jonah. Which means he would be someplace for a time then reappear.

The gospel of Mark makes no mention of any guards when the women went to his tomb.

You speak as though the validity of the accounts weren’t taken into consideration at the time the new testament was assembled for use as scripture by the Church.

[quote=Augustine3] Whether the Jews believed in Jesus’ prediction is not the issue. My point is apparently the Jews understood Jesus’ prediction better than the apostles even though Jesus told the apostles more explicitly in private what would happen to him…
[/quote]

The Jews certainly understood the ramifications of the prophecy better than the disciples, hence the guard at the tomb while the disciples hid in fear. After the resurrection, however, we see where Jesus opened the minds (understanding) of the disciples, and Pentecost, with the arrival of the Holy Spirit, certainly made a significant difference to the disciples and their understanding.

I find it interesting the Jews showed an understanding after the death of Christ. Perhaps this was an act of mercy from God to give them an understanding of what Christ meant by the sign of Jonah and him “going away” in order to repent and believe. This can be compared to the Roman centurion who realised Jesus is indeed God’s Son after he had died.

What you guys think?

The act of Mercy was that He fulfilled the promise to come to them, and did what He did amongst them, and not the Gentiles.

It seems you loss sight of what Jesus was dealing with. He was famous for healing all sick people that were taken with divers diseases and torments, and those which were possessed with devils, and those which were lunatick, and those that had the palsy. Razing the dead, sight to the blind, and hearing to the deaf.

And the Pharisees ask Him for a sign, trying to deceive the public, and no, they didn’t get it, though they were looking right at it, in the flesh. The “sign” again was shown to those who were trusted, not the general public of the day.

I believe that the Pharisees had as much understanding as the Apostles at the time, that
both were well aware about what Jesus said, that he would be raised from the dead, and
both groups had their doubts concerning the resurrection.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.