Did the Lord Jesus raise Lazarus from the dead?

Do you believe that the Lord Jesus raised Lazarus from the dead?

Was Lazarus totally 100% dependent upon the Lord Jesus to raise him up from the dead?

Do you believe that God raises up spiritually dead people to spiritual life in Christ Jesus?

Are spiritually dead people totally 100% dependent upon God to raise them up to spiritual life in Christ Jesus?

1 And you He made alive, who were dead in trespasses and sins, 2 in which you once walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit who now works in the sons of disobedience, 3 among whom also we all once conducted ourselves in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, just as the others.
4 But God, who is rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, 5 even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved), 6 and raised us up together, and made us sit together in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, 7 that in the ages to come He might show the exceeding riches of His grace in His kindness toward us in Christ Jesus. 8 For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, 9 not of works, lest anyone should boast. 10 For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them… Eph 2:1-10

As opposed to what?

I smell a strawman…

If you read the bible passage where Lazarus was raised from the dead, it states that he had been dead for days - which clearly means that he was completely dependent on Jesus to resurrect him.

Yes, I do believe that God raises spiritually dead people to spiritual life in Jesus. I think that he does this through a variety of ways - the Holy Spirit helping to guide their hearts back to Christ, through other spiritually alive people working to help those who are spiritually dead, and through means such as scripture, ect.

I don’t know that I would say spiritually dead people are 100% dependent on God to raise them from their spiritual death - after all, due to the gift of free will, humans must make the choice to follow God, he does not force us. But I do believe that once a person begins to open their heart to God, he will renew their spirit and give them the gift of faith.

I’m not really sure what you are getting at with your questions, but I hope that I have helped to answer them for you.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

No. God offers ALL men salvation, you can either accept this salvation or reject this salvation. Are all men saved? No, why? God does offer salvation to all doesn’t He? Each person must act! They must accept. This is a “work”.

Yes. I also believe St Peter raised Tabitha from the dead, as recounted in Acts.

Was Lazarus totally 100% dependent upon the Lord Jesus to raise him up from the dead?

No, actually. Read the passage closely. John 11:

43: And when he thus had spoken, he cried with a loud voice, Lazarus, come forth.

44: And he that was dead came forth, bound hand and foot with graveclothes: and his face was bound about with a napkin. Jesus saith unto them, Loose him, and let him go.

Unless you have a necromantic view of this passage, Christ called, Lazarus came. I’d say Christ was 99 44/100% responsible.

Do you believe that God raises up spiritually dead people to spiritual life in Christ Jesus?

Yes, I do.

Are spiritually dead people totally 100% dependent upon God to raise them up to spiritual life in Christ Jesus?

If by “raise them up” you mean imparting His grace to them, of course. If you mean controlling their actions from that point forward as a puppeteer controls a marionette, the answer is “No”.

1 And you He made alive, who were dead in trespasses and sins, 2 in which you once walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit who now works in the sons of disobedience, 3 among whom also we all once conducted ourselves in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, just as the others.
4 But God, who is rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, 5 even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved), 6 and raised us up together, and made us sit together in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, 7 that in the ages to come He might show the exceeding riches of His grace in His kindness toward us in Christ Jesus. 8 For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, 9 not of works, lest anyone should boast. 10 For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them… Eph 2:1-10

Let’s quote the whole chapter, shall we?

1: And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins;
2: Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience:
3: Among whom also we all had our conversation in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others.
4: But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us,
5: Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;)
6: And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus:
7: That in the ages to come he might shew the exceeding riches of his grace in his kindness toward us through Christ Jesus.
8: For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
9: Not of works, lest any man should boast.
10: For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus** unto good works**, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.
11: Wherefore remember, that ye being in time past Gentiles in the flesh, who are called Uncircumcision by that which is called the Circumcision in the flesh made by hands;
12: That at that time ye were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope, and without God in the world:
13: But now in Christ Jesus ye who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ.
14: For he is our peace, who hath made both one, and hath broken down the middle wall of partition between us;
15: Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace;
16: And that he might reconcile both unto God **in one body **by the cross, having slain the enmity thereby:
17: And came and preached peace to you which were afar off, and to them that were nigh.
18: For through him we both have access by one Spirit unto the Father.
19: Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints, and of the household of God;
20: And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone;
21: In whom all the building fitly framed together groweth unto an holy temple in the Lord:
22: In whom ye also are builded together for an habitation of God through the Spirit.

St Paul at his Catholic best, describing in one bracing passage the healing power of the Eucharist; the need for Christian unity in one Church, the Church founded by Christ upon the Rock; and of communion with the saints.

Would we expect any differently from the man who spent so much of his life striving for unity, for purity, and for Christ?

Yes he was raised from the dead.
he went on later to become Bishop of one of the islands i think it was Cyprus.A man who has two tombs:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

You stated the following:

Yes, I do believe that God raises spiritually dead people to spiritual life in Jesus.

I don’t know that I would say spiritually dead people are 100% dependent on God to raise them from their spiritual death

In the natural realm we know that a dead person can not bring themselves back to life. So it is true in the spiritual realm, a spiritually dead person can not bring themselves to life. Spiritually dead people are therefore 100% dependent upon God to make them spiritually alive.

A simple illustration re believing, people believe that the pilot of the plane will be able to fly the plane but it isn’t their belief in the pilot that enables him/her to fly the plane. :slight_smile:

So spiritually dead people are totally 100% dependent upon God to raise them up to spiritual life in Christ Jesus.

Why doesn’t God raise everybody up to spiritual life in Christ? Doesn’t he desire the salvation of all?

16 For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. 17 For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved.
18 “He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God. 19 And this is the condemnation, that the light has come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil. 20 For everyone practicing evil hates the light and does not come to the light, lest his deeds should be exposed. John 3:16-20

So … a person has to do something to get spiritual life in Christ?

You said the spiritually dead are 100% dependent on God to bring them to spiritual life, and I asked why God doesn’t bring everybody to spiritual life. You respond with verses as though they answered the question, but they don’t. If belief is 100% dependent on God, why does not everybody believe?

Spiritually dead people have to believe that they are 100% dependent upon God to give them spiritual life.

16 For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. 17 For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved.
18 “He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God. 19 And this is the condemnation, that the light has come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil. 20 For everyone practicing evil hates the light and does not come to the light, lest his deeds should be exposed. John 3:16-20

Absolutely false. If this were true ALL men would be spiritually alive, or God desires some to damnation of some which is ridiculous. Or do you feel mans will is stronger than Gods’ will? Man must choose to follow God. God provides grace to all, Jesus died for all, God wants all to come to Him. It is mans refusal which brings his damnation. Man must choose between obedience and disobedience.

Poor logic…If they believe that they are 100% dependent on God to give them spiritual life, then they are NOT spiritually dead.

Hmmmm…doesn’t look like 100% God here either…Looks to me like first you have to believe in Him.

A simple illustration re believing, people believe that the pilot will be able to fly the plane but it isn’t their belief in the pilot that enables the pilot to fly the plane.

So when people believe that they are 100% dependent upon God for spiritual life in Christ it’s not their belief that makes them spiritually alive but God who makes them alive in Christ Jesus.

Jesus said he was dead, that’ll do me.

God is the author of life, and Jesus said he that has seen Him has seen the Father, He and the Father are one.

And Martha his sister said that he has been dead four days and will be already smelling.

And I don’t think it was coincidence that Jesus who knew Lazarus was sick, stayed on a further 2 days.

Everything points to him being dead, but the words of Jesus are enough…“Lazarus is dead.”

Yes.

If all those who are spiritually dead depend 100% on God for spiritual life, then it wouldn’t matter that they loved darkness rather than light. There is a contradiction here between your figure of 100% reliance on God, and the fact that what men love affects their salvation or lack of it. If one’s salvation or lack of salvation can depend on what a man loves, then how can you say that salvation is 100% reliance on God?

As soon as you say “people have to…” then it cannot be 100% dependent upon God. Can’t you see the logic here? If it were 100% dependent upon God then the correct statement would be “regardless of what people may do or not do…”

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.