Did then Cardinal Ratzinger make a mistake?

For his homily at Pope John Paul II’s funeral, Cardinal Ratzinger stated:

Divine Mercy: the Holy Father found the purest reflection of God’s mercy in the Mother of God. He, who at an early age had lost his own mother, loved his divine mother all the more.

Didn’t the then Cardinal make a mistake when he referred to Mary as “divine mother”? Or is this an older way that Catholics sometimes refer to the Virgin Mary to emphasize her role as Mother of God?

Thanks,

Cody

I’m not very knowlegeable, but from my understanding Jesus gave us Mary as our mother on his cross.

[quote=“John 19:26-27”]When Jesus then saw His mother, and the disciple whom He loved standing nearby, He said to His mother, “Woman, behold, your son!” Then He said to the disciple, “Behold, your mother!” From that hour the disciple took her into his own household.
[/quote]

I would expect the term “heavenly mother” rather than “divine mother”, but one definition of “divine” is Being in the service or worship of a deity; sacred. That certainly fits Mary.

If someone is called the “royal baker” it does not make that baker royalty. Mary is the Mother of God, and this was the sense of the reference.

What language was he speaking when he made that comment? It could be the translation to English came up divine. “Heavenly” in Italian is “Divino.”

[quote=StCsDavid]What language was he speaking when he made that comment? It could be the translation to English came up divine. “Heavenly” in Italian is “Divino.”
[/quote]

What’s Italian for “of the wine”?

[quote=StCsDavid]What language was he speaking when he made that comment? It could be the translation to English came up divine. “Heavenly” in Italian is “Divino.”
[/quote]

I think his homily was probably in Italian. Here’s the actual link from the Vatican’s website:
vatican.va/gpII/documents/homily-card-ratzinger_20050408_en.html

I understood it as Mary as mother of the Divine=Divine mother.

These are the most common definitions for “divine”……

1. having godlike nature: being God or a god or goddess
    **2. relating to God, gods, or goddesses: connected with, coming from, or caused by God or a god or goddess
  2. connected with worship: relating to the worship or service of God or a god or goddess
  3. lovely: pleasing, attractive, or well performed ( informal ) **

I would say the majority of these applied to Mary.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.