Did you know this about St Francis de Sales?

He was born in 1567 and died in 1622
He is the Patron Saint of Catholic writers, journalists, publishers and apologists.

His wonderful work ‘The Catholic Controversy’ is a ‘must’ for anyone who wants to learn good points in order to defend the Catholic faith.:knight1::knight2:

He is called the Saint of kindness because he managed to control his anger and be always kind and good to everyone, even to his enemies.:hug3:

He was a wise spiritual director, specially for women, and his book ‘Introduction to the Devout Life’ is full of great advices and meditations that fill the heart with peace and confidence in God’s mercy.:love:

He founded the Convent where years later St Margaret would have the revelation of the Sacred Heart of Jesus.:heart:

He is great,:thumbsup:

I invite you to know more about him and read his works and make him your friend! :hug1:

Alma

Hey thanks could you give me info on where to get the book etc etc.
Thanks
Godbless

Hey littleone: You can find many great works by St Francis de Sales here: www.oblates.org
They carry some little booklets that are true gems: ‘A day a month with St Francis’, or ‘Golden Counsels’. They are inexpensive and great to read every day.
You can also google ‘St Francis de Sales’, because there are some Catholic web sites, like www.catholic.net where you can actually read a book, for example: ‘Introduction to the Devout Live’.
Enjoy! And let me know what you liked best.
I share with you one of my favorite quotes:

“Do not worry about what might happen tomorrow; the same loving Father who takes care of you today, will take care of you tomorrow and every day. Either He will shield you from suffering, or He will give you unfailing strenght to bear it. Be at peace, then, and put aside all anxious thoughts and imaginations.” St Francis de Sales

St Francis de Sales is one of my favourite spiritual authors. Here are links to online translations of his works:

Introduction to the Devout Life
Treatise on the Love of God

“Introduction to the Devout Life” was written specifically for lay people in an age when all devout struggled to live out monastic spirituality, which of course is a far easier matter in the confines and structure, supportive environment and atmosphere, of monastic life - hence many lay people did struggle and St. Francis, aware of this, wrote the Introduction to the Devout Life.

I have this picture of him in my desk at work. :slight_smile:

I also have the following prayer of his on the wall in my home office:

*O my God, I thank you and I praise
you for accomplishing your holy
and all-lovable will without any regard for mine.
With my whole heart,
in spite of my heart,
do I receive this cross I feared so much!

It is the cross of Your choice,
the cross of Your love.
I venerate it;
nor for anything in the world
would I wish that it had not come,
since You willed it.

I keep it with gratitude and with joy,
as I do everything that comes from Your hand;
and I shall strive to carry it without letting it drag,
with all the respect
and all the affection which Your works deserve.

Amen.*

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.