Did you marry someone of the same religion?

The recent thread on Muslims marrying outside their religion makes me wonder how others feel about marrying outside their religion.

I was thinking the other day that I married a Catholic, but it wasn’t a big deal then–decades ago. It might not have been a big deal, because we were both Catholics, so there was no issue. However, I don’t remember asking about religion when we were dating. Somehow we learned that we were Catholic, but neither of us has any memory of a conversation. Maybe being Irish and Italian made the Catholic status a no-brainer. :wink:

Though religion wasn’t an issue then, as time has gone by I see that a lot of things are good because we’re on the same page about religion, which effects our outlook on some important specific issues and on life in general.

If I had to do it again, religion would be a more important factor in considering a spouse.

If you married someone outside your religion, how did you decide which religion to raise your kids in (if you have kids)? Did one or the other of you convert to the other’s religion? If there were any issues because of the difference in religions, were there certain areas of life that they tended to creep up in?

If you married someone of the same religion, and either your spouse or you later changed religions, did that cause tension?

Did I marry someone of the same religion? Yes, my dear wife is a Christian. She also happens to be Catholic. I go to mass with her and our young son almost every Sunday.

Like you say, kalt, it wasn’t an issue when we first met, but many things are good now because we’re “on the same page” about lots of things.

Her younger brother’s a Catholic priest, and he never tried to discourage us.

No.

If you married someone outside your religion, how did you decide which religion to raise your kids in (if you have kids)?
We didn’t. We exposed them to various christian religions and let them choose for themselves. My son is joining the catholic church currently. My daughter is undecided.

Did one or the other of you convert to the other’s religion?
No. We accepted each’s other regardless of our beliefs.

If there were any issues because of the difference in religions, were there certain areas of life that they tended to creep up in?
None that I recall. We put my son in catholic school for 3 years without any problem and my wife was a baptist.

If you married someone of the same religion, and either your spouse or you later changed religions, did that cause tension
In the process of formerly joining the catholic church myself, let you know if it does. But she accepts me for who I am. And I do not question her beliefs either.

My priest said 97% of christianity agree on the same things and the other 3% will probably not keep you out of heaven.

I married an athiest. Won’t be doing that again. Getting an anulment. If I ever do marry again it is going to have to be a fully fledged practicing Catholic that is so up there with the Faith and God that I think Jesus himself has proposed.

May I ask what happened?

I’m not married, but am in a committed relationship.

He’s Byzantine and I’m Latin Rite.

I tell ya, that’s “bad” enough, let alone being completely different religions! I have NO IDEA how people do it. None.

“Being on the same page” is INCREDIBLY important to me so I could never date a protestant or someone who is not a christian. I’ve tried before. I could never talk about God and spirituality with them because we just did not see eye to eye on that. So relationships ended up talking about everything else. Now, admittedly, at the time it didn’t matter because I was lapsed from the Catholic church. Religion wasn’t important. However, faith and belief were important. If I met a Catholic, albeit lapsed, at least he and I would have the same POV and know what the other was talking about.

Honestly, why would you NOT want to be with someone who felt the same as you about God and your faith? Especially if it is important to you.

I firmly believe God put the man in my life that I am with right now. He even told me had prayed for God to put someone in my life. I had had very nearly the same prayer. We “found” each other soon after. In the time we’ve been together, we have BOTH come back to the Catholic church and are now attending Mass or Divine Liturgy nearly every week and I am going to be confirmed May 31st.

But as I said above. We’re both Catholics, different rites. Oi. Just that alone. I don’t get AT ALL how someone could end up marrying someone of a different faith. We have a friend who is Baptist and will be marrying a Lutheran. I dunno. Really. How they’ll do it with kids.

Congratulations!! :blessyou:

I seriously dated an evangelical girl in college. Broke up when it became increasingly apparent that we were both convinced of the truth of our faith and that it would be a source of endless conflict if we got as far as marriage and kids.

I don’t think high school dating needs to worry about such things, but by the time you get to college I think it is basic common sense to make sure that you don’t become emotionally attached to someone who has core beliefs that conflict with yours.

If your faith is the most important element in your life, why WOULDN’T you make sure your mate shared the same vision?

:D:thumbsup:

Thank you! :slight_smile:

My wife was an evangelical Christian. We went to each other’s worship services…over time she became “convinced” and petitioned the Meeting for membership.

I did, and it was sufficiently important to me that I would not have married her (nor she, me) had we been of different religions. We’re both Catholic.

Two of my brothers married Anglicans; one of whom converted to Catholicism before their marriage, and one of whom did shortly thereafter.

I would not have married someone who held firmly to another religion. That did end, for me, a number of relationships. It ended, for me, a relationship with a girl who, though Catholic, was not really committed to her faith, as well, and made light of Catholic moral principles. She could not, after some time and discussion, understand my resolve to adhere to them, and so I ended that relationship.

Maybe marriage can work when people are committed to different religions, but truly, I don’t see how it can. Maybe others’ experiences would prove me wrong.

Firstly, I am not married, however, I would wish to marry someone within my own faith. That being said, I wonder if it’s God’s plan that some of us marry outside of our respective faiths so we (Catholics) can lead them (non-Catholics) to Truth. Secondly, I have been distressed somewhat by the amount of Catholics (that I know of) that have married Muslims, some of whom have converted or are going to raise the children in both faiths. :confused: I do not believe I could this. No, actually I would never do this. I rather marry an Atheist than a Muslim. This may sound strange, but I do not like many of the beliefs inherent in Islam (apart from viewing it has false).

You’re not the only one with this sentiment. At least with an atheist, are you more likely to be treated equally.

I married a croat(catholic)…when we married i was not a religious muslim

today we both are religious,.and he converted to islam 2 years ago…but he didnt do it because of me,he read and was interested and then thought islam was something for him

Yes, that is definitely a reason I would rather marry an Atheist as opposed to a Muslim man.

** In the name of Allah , the Most Gracious , Ever Merciful **

http://theislampath.com/smf/Smileys/default/salam.gif

** In the name of Allah , the Most Gracious , Ever Merciful **

http://theislampath.com/smf/Smileys/default/salam.gif

I found it very strange . A person who rejects God , who does not believe in the hereafter , you are ready to spend your life with him rather than with a believer who submitted himself to God , believes in all the messengers of God , in hell , in heaven …how is that possible ?

In future , if you are blessed with kids , by the influence of dad , they can also become athisests. According to Chistians faith , who is a more sinner… a Muslim or who rejects God totally ?

Yes I married someone of the same religion, or rather by the time I married her we were of the same religion. When we met she was non-denominational and then converted to Catholicism prior to us being married.

You have no idea. Not between my wife and I though. It was actually my wife’s idea that her and I convert to the Catholic faith. Wasn’t a big deal to me back then. But my wife’s father is all kinds of fundamentalist and it has cause great tension between us and him. Its been a rough 3-4 years since he found out she converted. Actually rough is an understatement since she has, “joined ranks with the devil”. :rolleyes:

God bless

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.