Didache

What are your thoughts on the Didache. Is it ok to follow the rule set in it event though it isn’t in the Bible. It doesn’t seem to contradict the Church’s teachings or the Bible that and if is written by the twelve Apostles. Also I have found it to be a useful books against the Islamic arguments about the Bible being corrupt and Jesus isn’t God

Any thoughts would be nice

God bless :slight_smile:

The Didache is perhaps the earliest “Catechism” of the Church.

Though not “canonical”, it is certainly sound, and is quoted in almost all compilations of the Early Church Fathers.

It has a lot of useful information on the way the Church in its first century lived and celebrated the Sacraments.

Think of it in this way: if someone living in 5,000 A.D. (wishful thinking) were to pick up a copy of the current Compendium of the Catechism, it would be of the same use to him as the Didache is to us. Some details may have changed or been developed, but not dogma or doctrine.

And if I remember correctly, the main reason it wasn’t included in canon was that it was written so late.

I thought it was written by the Apostles in the years 65-80

True. In fact, one scholarly theory states that it began life as a manual for Jewish converts, and it was later revised and updated by the Apostles’ successors to reflect the revelation brought by Our Lord. (Source: Fr. William F. Jurgens, The Faith of the Early Fathers, vol. 1.)

I see so could it still be used as a first century text the came before most books in the New Testament

Hi Disciple,

I’ve enjoyed reading the Didache as it provides a great insight to what the first Christians believed and followed. I would view it more of a historic document rather than a guide to current life. Our church has the current Catechism to help guide us along the way. We can trace the document historically to either the late 1st Century to early 2nd. Depending on which researcher you follow is what date you can place the document at. Again, the Didache along with the early Church fathers can provide you with a lot of insight to the early faith.

Best,

Brad

Some Jewish scholars argue that it’s a Jewish, rather than a Christian text–which could also explain why it never made it into the New Testament.

The Bible was not written by the 12 Apostles.

Two of the Gospel authors, Mark and Luke, were not Apostles. Luke also wrote Acts of the Apostles. The authorship of Hebrews is disputed. The Author of the Epistle of James was probably not James the Apostle. The entire Old Testament was written before any of the Apostles were alive.

Most of the Apostles either never wrote or what they wrote never made it into the Bible.

-Tim-

The Church references The Didache in the CCC.

CCC 2760 Very early on, liturgical usage concluded the Lord’s Prayer with a doxology. In the Didache, we find, “For yours are the power and the glory for ever.” The Apostolic Constitutions add to the beginning: “the kingdom,” and this is the formula retained to our day in ecumenical prayer. The Byzantine tradition adds after “the glory” the words “Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.” The Roman Missal develops the last petition in the explicit perspective of “awaiting our blessed hope” and of the Second Coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. Then comes the assembly’s acclamation or the repetition of the doxology from the Apostolic Constitutions.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.