Didn't sit through Mass Sunday

Last Sunday, I went to church, but didn’t sit through Mass or take
Communion. Should I go to Confession?:shrug:

Depends on why you left. It never hurts to ask your priest a question like this - either in confession or just in general conversation.

It is NOT a sin to refrain from communion at any particular Mass. We are obliged to attend Mass every Sunday (Saturday eve Mass included). We are only obliged to recieve communion once a year.

[quote="denitaA, post:1, topic:296993"]
Last Sunday, I went to church, but didn't sit through Mass or take
Communion. Should I go to Confession?:shrug:

[/quote]

You hvaen't given us enough information to give an answer. Why did you leave?
Were you ill?
Did a child need you?
Were you paged by the hospital you perhaps work for?

In other words, it all depends on why you left.

I went to Mater Dei Parish (FSSP) last week and while I intended to assist at Mass, but I was distracted by the call to sign up for Catechism classes, I wanted to find out if I could sit in on the adult class because I felt I wasn't catechized(sp?) enough, as a result, I missed Mass altogether. I later found out the adult classes were to be held on a weeknight when I would be unable to attend due to lack of transportation. Should I go to confession? I feel really bad, and don't want to take communion until this is settled. Being distracted at Mass is no excuse, but I often am. Any ideas?:confused::imsorry:

If you were sick or had to leave because of an emergency, or something that was out of your control, then you're fine. BUT if you willfully left for no good reason, then you will have to confess. Taking communion at each mass is not a requirement, just attending it is, but that doest mean you must never go for communion.

I'm sure if you take up your missal, and make a good preparation for confession, you will find several things in your life that you can take into the confessional, Going to confession even when you don't have the stain of Mortal Sin is a good practice, it may even help you prevent mortal sins.

You may wish to bring this up with the priest you confess to. However if you did not intend to miss Mass, then you did not sin.

As an aside, where I live there are a few Eastern Rite Catholic parishes within about 30 a minute drive. There is one EF about 20 minutes away. I try my best to get to the EF, if not then to the Eastern Rite, and while I hold that the OF is just as much the Mass as any other rite, I go only when I can't get to the others, because the local parishes which offer only the OF are a bit jarring to me, lots of leftover progressive Liturgical stuff that I really have difficulty with. But I go to fulfil my obligation to worship God,

This post by the OP in another thread offers a bit more information. denitaA, I think you need to seek the counsel of your priest in confession just to put your mind at ease and make sure you proceed correctly.

[quote="denitaA, post:4, topic:296993"]
I went to Mater Dei Parish (FSSP) last week and while I intended to assist at Mass, but I was distracted by the call to sign up for Catechism classes, I wanted to find out if I could sit in on the adult class because I felt I wasn't catechized(sp?) enough, as a result, I missed Mass altogether. I later found out the adult classes were to be held on a weeknight when I would be unable to attend due to lack of transportation. Should I go to confession? I feel really bad, and don't want to take communion until this is settled. Being distracted at Mass is no excuse, but I often am. Any ideas?:confused::imsorry:

[/quote]

Mass worries
forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?p=9713515#post9713515

YES! You should go to confession. :slight_smile: Often. We all should. It’s holy and wonderful.
But it doesn’t sound like you MUST go due to this (mortal?) sin. You did what you did not intend - so intent is missing from the mortal sin qualifiers (it would SEEM - you would know better than us).

WHEN you go, confess this even if it’s venial. It’ll be forgiven specifically and you need never think of it again.

**(WON’T Happen moment) **you confess this sin and the above details. Angry Priest thunders (so that all outside the confessional can HEAR): “In my THIR-TY FIVE years of hearing conFESSions - THAT is the most devious, artful EX-CUUUUSE for turning one’s BACK on the Lord I’ve ever HEARD! Signing up for CATECHISM class - get OUT! OUT! And take your - class registration papers WITH you!”

**(More like this) ** Jesus **loves **you! For your penance say … ***one Hail Mary. Now make a good act of contrition ( he begins the words of absolution) — and you are free, free, FREE from SIN! ***:slight_smile:

“… and next time bring a REAL sin or two will you - I’ve got Devine, Eternal power delegated to me here - and you’re clogging up my “Emergency Room” line with your paper cut!” :smiley:

That should about steel you for the worst of what won’t happen. ;):stuck_out_tongue:

It depends but take it to confession. Just for peace of mind.

You seem to have left details out of your story. How is one “distracted by the call to sign up for Catechism classes” to such an extent that one misses an entire Mass?

Actually, I walked out during the sermon, and was afraid to go back in because I didn’t want to disrupt. Bad idea, huh? :tsktsk:

[quote="CaptFun, post:8, topic:296993"]
YES! You should go to confession. :) Often. We all should. It's holy and wonderful.
But it doesn't sound like you MUST go due to this (mortal?) sin. You did what you did not intend - so intent is missing from the mortal sin qualifiers (it would SEEM - you would know better than us).

WHEN you go, confess this even if it's venial. It'll be forgiven specifically and you need never think of it again.

*(WON'T Happen moment) **you confess this sin and the above details. Angry Priest thunders (so that all outside the confessional can HEAR): "In my THIR-TY FIVE years of hearing conFESSions - THAT is the most devious, artful *EX-CUUUUSE *for turning one's BACK on the Lord I've ever HEARD! Signing up for CATECHISM class - get OUT! OUT! And take your - class registration papers* WITH you!"

(More like this) ** Jesus *loves **you! For your penance say ... *one **Hail Mary. Now make a good act of contrition ( he begins the words of absolution) --- and you are free, free,* FREE from SIN! ***:)

"... and next time bring a REAL sin or two will you - I've got Devine, Eternal power delegated to me here - and you're clogging up my "Emergency Room" line with your paper cut!" :D

That should about steel you for the worst of what won't happen. ;):p

[/quote]

Don't know if you're "pulling my leg" or not, but thanks for the laugh. Seriously, though, I was never taught (in RCIA) what makes a sin mortal or venial. which is why I wish I could take a more traditional catechism lesson. :shrug:

[quote="denitaA, post:11, topic:296993"]
Actually, I walked out during the sermon, and was afraid to go back in because I didn't want to disrupt. Bad idea, huh? :tsktsk:

[/quote]

It's good that you were considerate of other people, but not good to miss Mass, unless you knew you had another one you could go to.

Why did you walk out of the sermon, though?

Did you leave during the homily to go sign up for that class? Better to wait until the end of Mass next time.

Even if you didn’t want to go back in the sanctuary, could you have seen or heard the rest of the Mass from the narthex? In many churches, that is the only place for someone with a coughing fit, crying small child, etc to go. But they stay and watch&listen to the rest of Mass from out there.

If you walked out of the homily to go signup for a class and then decided it would be better to leave then quietly return to Mass, I think you do need to go to confession. Not because this sin was necessarily mortal (you sound more confused than anything), but because it will be good to get your priest’s advise.

You also call the parish to talk about RCIA sometime other than the middle of Mass. :wink:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.