Diet site using icon image in very disturbing way

ourladyofweightloss.com/

what does anyone think of this.
I am so tired of Catholics being bashed and our symbols.

I find this exceptionally offensive.

Every day I am seeing and hearing more Anti-Catholicism, whether it is an overt attack, or a subtle mockery. All of it is starting to convince me that another crusade or Inquistion must be made to combat it.

Matthew 5:38-39 You have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth. But I say to you not to resist evil: but if one strike thee on thy right cheek, turn to him also the other. :thumbsup:

I find this extremely offensive as well. In fact, I just wrote an email to them saying so. Doubt they’ll care but it made me feel better. People should be ashamed of themselves.:mad:

I echo the other posters’ sentiments. This is very offensive and disrespectful of Mary. I’m sick and tired of seeing this kind of junk.

It’s dumb-- I’ll give you that. However, I’m not overly worked up about it. I’ve seen worse depictions of Our Lady out there. As a Catholic, I certainly wouldn’t use such an image in such a way. So, it is troubling to see our iconography used in such a way.
However, the thing that troubles me more about the image is that it’s so damn, new age-y. When will the new-age spirituality, touchy feely, I have a great guru, bleck go away?

Still, I don’t think it’s any worse that some of those evangelical sites about weight loss-- apparently Jesus doesn’t like fat people or fat people can’t get into heaven. That is something to be truly troubled about.

I’m curious to see if you get a response back. BTW, tomorrow, I’ll just go to the gym. That and church seem to keep me spiritually and physically in check.

It is repulsive.

I’ve sent her the following email:

Dear Ms. Taylor -

I’m sure I’m not the first, and certain I won’t be the last. I can’t begin to tell you how offensive I find your website design and domain name. Our Lady is not something to be used as fun and games to sell whatever it is you are selling. Our Lady, and especially as you have her pictured on your home page, is the mother of the Creator of the universe. How utterly offensive that you would use that image to mock and parody her and her Son.

You probably are thinking - “oh, here we go, another right wing religious loon”. No, I’m not a loon. But I do know a total lack of consideration and responsible marketing when I see it. This is not funny. It’s not cute. It’s not clever. And if you used the same approach using Islam or Judeaism, I’m sure you would be seeing a fire storm of protests. But for some reason, Catholics are easy and free game. Perhaps because we don’t usually speak up. We just pray for those who offend us and hope they will learn that they also offend God before it is too late for their souls.

I’m sure you won’t be changing a thing about your site - I really don’t expect it. Anyone who would come up with such an idea in the first place would not have the level of comprehension or understanding to even know what offense they are causing. I only hope you realize that the offense you cause is not to the stuffy conservatives who don’t know how to have any fun - but to the One who has given you the ability to make the choices you have made in your business practices, and the ability to know what is right and what is wrong. And one day you will have to answer for those choices.

Regards,
Lizaanne

~Liza

My own opinion–i don’t think it rises to the level of offensive, much less Catholic-bashing.

I think it’s just silly and tasteless.

I agree - the anti-Catholic sentiment is getting stronger. But what this tells me is that our Faith and the Church is getting strong and Satan is striking harder. He will never attack what he does not see as a threat. He’s not going to attack Joel Olsteen, for example, because good ol’ Joel just helps his cause. No - Satan will strike at what is his greatest threat, and that can only be the Bride of Christ - the Catholic Church.

So while it is infuriating, frustrating, and sad on the one hand, I find it encouraging that we are totally pissing off Satan. I say bring it on, you evil bastard, bring it on. Because the gates of hell will not prevail against her, and you will just burn yourself out trying in her glory.

~Liza

Just ignore it, the more we take notice of these things and attack back, either verbal or not, the more coal that is added to the fire.

Can we say that? :eek:

i wouldnt think inviting to"bring it on" is a good idea .

I think testaments of Saints, exhortations of the Pope, the sacred scripture and plain common sense tells us not to tempt the Devil to ‘bring it on’.

Interestingly, The anorexics have their own “lady of weightloss” called “Ana” so maybe that’s what they are referring to. Ana and Mia are the goddesses or saints of weightloss control and thinness.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.