Your donation helps provide answers and spread the gospel. GIVE NOW! Matching gift doubles your donation.

Diferences on Mary between EO and RC

Which are the diferences regarding the Virgin Mary between EO and Rc?

I read a Bishop saying that we catholic are worshiping her…

ONLY God is worshipped. Honoring Mary as Jesus’ Mother we are keeping the Commandment of honoring our Father and Mother. She is our spiritual Mother given to all of us by Jesus when He was on the cross.

EO don’t exactly have a doctrine of “original sin”. It’s called Ancestral Sin, and slightly different. So they also have no need to talk about the Immaculate Conception…

But the results are the same. Mary, Mother of God (Theotokos), Ever Virgin, without sin.

With few exceptions, in the icons of the EO Church, Mary is portrayed together with Her Son and not alone.

They can and usually view her very similarly. What is defined as necessary in the Orthodox Church seems to be the normal view of most Catholics, but it seems that Catholics allow for a lower view of the need for her. We view her as the only means of our salvation and so honor her as such, meaning that without her we are not saved. Also all creation receives God’s grace through her. We do believe in original sin, but still do not teach the immaculate conception because we do not believe her to have been in the same condition as man before the fall. Although she was sinless, she was still purified further by The Holy Spirit before Christ was conceived.

Mediatrix and coreedemer? Some times I think the problem is philosophical. Ofc she was the key but God could chose others I think.

What you’ve said is what I’ve understand the Orthodox Church to teach.

However, I think many Catholics would deem Mary necessary for salvation - I being one of them. Her “fiat” is eternal and opened the door to salvation. We must honour her!

Well also Jude was necessary for salvation, Pilato too. I honor the queen of the universe but necessary for salvation only is God. Is my opinion not trying to offend anybody

While not a Dogma mediatrix or all grace’s has been used as a devotional title but some Saints like St Louis De Montfort taught that all grace comes from God through the Virgin Mary who disperses it.

Again we also believe that without the Virgin Mary obeying and cooperating with God’s plan we would not have salvation through Christ.

The title co-redemptrix comes to mind again in a devotional title not a Dogma but essentially an over-complicated way of saying that she cooperated with God’s salvific plan.

The doctrine of the Immaculate Conception essentially says that Mary was free from all original sin although in a different manner separate from Eve as she was conceived through the union Anne and Joachim in such a way through God’s grace that it was completely out of love, trust and obedience to God she still had the same opportunity to say yes or no but she gave her yes where was Eve disobeyed God.

I think in this area what really separates us is language the Latin Church over complicates things with it’s scholasticism whereas the Eastern Church weather Orthodox or Eastern Catholic is taking more of mystical and matter-of-fact route of explaining things.

is not a dogma? oh i didnt know that . Ty :slight_smile:

I could be wrong but no I don’t believe that Mary as mediatrix of all Graces or co-redemptrix is officially a Catholic dogma.

There have been some private revelations surrounding that issue but I again don’t believe it has officially been made a dogma.

I hope so bro. And However if Moses did not obey we could have Jesus as well, If u start to reckon all the carachters who had to obey You can call co whatever to Abraham Moses and so on

I mean, technically, according to modern English, we do worship Mary. In the modern English language, all veneration is labeled as worship. The difference is better shown in Latin, where there are three words to describe veneration. Latria, the highest form of worship/veneration, is given only to God. Hyperdulia, the second highest form, is given only to the Blessed Virgin Mary. (She is elevated above all other Saints and Angels because of her position as the Mother of God and the Queen of Heaven.) Dulia, the lowest form of veneration (but it is still veneration, don’t let my description of “lowest” throw you off), is given to all the other Saints and Angels.

All I really know, before reading the replies, is that often in Eastern Orthodox iconography, Mary is not shown alone. The Eastern Orthodox often emphasize that Christ is the reason that Mary has all of her fancy titles, so Christ is often present in icons with Mary, usually being represented as an infant. And this is completely correct, there’s nothing at all wrong with it.

Is even appropiate. In spain there are too much rc ppl who miss the point. Good for the orthodox. And well that priest should explain better.

The Blessed Virgin Mary has many titles.

https://www.ewtn.com/Devotionals/Litanies/Loreto.htm

Holy Mary,
Holy Mother of God,
Holy Virgin of virgins, .
Mother of Christ, .
Mother of divine grace,
Mother most pure,
Mother most chaste,
Mother inviolate,
Mother undefiled,
Mother most amiable,
Mother most admirable,
Mother of good counsel,
Mother of our Creator,
Mother of our Savior,
Mother of the Church,
Virgin most prudent,
Virgin most venerable,
Virgin most renowned,
Virgin most powerful,
Virgin most merciful,
Virgin most faithful,
Mirror of justice,
Seat of wisdom,
Cause of our joy,
Spiritual vessel,
Vessel of honor,
Singular vessel of devotion,
Mystical rose,
Tower of David, .
Tower of ivory,
House of gold,
Ark of the covenant,
Gate of Heaven,
Morning star,
Health of the sick,
Refuge of sinners,
Comforter of the afflicted,
Help of Christians, pray for us.
Queen of angels,
Queen of patriarchs,
Queen of prophets,
Queen of apostles,
Queen of martyrs,
Queen of confessors,
Queen of virgins,
Queen of all saints,
Queen conceived without
Original Sin,
Queen assumed into Heaven,
Queen of the holy Rosary,
Queen of families,
Queen of peace…

It’s not.

That phrasing tends to come from those claiming it as the “final” dogma revealed at Fatima.

Their stridency and insistence on this make some of us shudder, and contemplate the H-word.

hawk

So I dont have to believe in it? Cause I dont…im worried now

Believe in which?

Co-redemptrix? No, absolutely not.

Virgin birth or born without sin? Dogma on the first, east and west; dogma on the second in the west, and obvious on the “water’s wet” level in the east with no need for dogma (Augustinian individual guilt is not consistent with Eastern theology, nor is it western dogma, even though there is a dogmatic response to it).

hawk

ty so I still being catholic

You are correct, the Catholic Church does not view Mary as necessary for salvation… God alone is absolutely necessary.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.