Differances between Doctrine and Sacred Tradition

Hi everyone, I haven’t posted in here in almost a year,

I’ve been debating with a non-denominational Christian who is trying to refute the Catholic Church by stating that She has made many doctrinal errors in the past. He doesn’t seem to know the differance between a doctrine, Sacred Tradition and traditions of men.

My question to anyone from this forum is what is the differance between a doctrine and Sacred Tradition so that I could show him the distinction between the two?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

God Bless
Robin

Tradition is one of the carriers of divine revelation–the handing on orally the message of the Gospel. Or, more completely, the handing on from generation to generation everything the Church has and is.

A doctrine is a formulation of a truth of the faith.

Some doctrines are found in Tradition, some in Scripture, and some in both Tradition and Scripture.

You may want to ask him to give you an example in the past. What he calls “doctrine” may be simply a “discipline” which is subject to change.

Priestly celibacy is a discipline and is subject to change. I believe it’s allowed in certain areas, and is definately subject to exceptions.

The prohibition of women is a doctrine that cannot change for it comes from Sacred Tradition.

closed #4

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.