Difference between intuition and Conscience

I know this seems like a stupid question, but this is really bothering me. For obvious reasons I am about to explain.

First of all, I had to sit down and make a decision, it wasn’t a bad one, I wasn’t debating whether or not to kill anymore, but it was a decision, where was a right and wrong answer ( apparently ) I chose, and long story short, I did not get the result I wanted. I have been sitting down, listening to music, and just zoning out trying to piece together the puzzle, and it just is’t working there is something I don’t see.

I believe there are different compodents in our mind, that help us make decisions;

The Conscience
The Sub-Conscience ( produces dreams I believe )
Intuition
Reason.

Now when i was making this decision ( asking out a girl ) One part of my brain said go for it, another said don’t. I had tonnes of evidence beforehand, which i shall spare you. since it really isn’t that important.

WHAT IS IMPORTANT is deciphering. Which is godly, and correct. And which opinion is not Godly and correct, so I don’t put anyone else in poor situations again ( having to say no lol ).And obviously for myself, because like yeah I am upset, and I don’t like being upset. Which voice do I listen to, I have debates inside my head all the time.

I’ll aska uestion " should I ask her out " and my brain will go nuts, " yes" " no " this is why yes " " this is why no" and I don’t know which is correct. How can i differentiate between the good and the bad it’s just frustrating, never being able to get the correct answer.

Thanks guys, any more info you need into my mind, I’ll give.

Growing up as a young man asking out a girl was indeed the hardest and most difficult thing to do, but also the most rewarding!

As you grow older, and gain experience, meet new people, learn from your mistakes, you’ll become more confident and realize that life is too short to sweat the small stuff. As cliché as it sounds, follow your heart and be kind to others.

Hello Kidpoetry,
Nice to see you here again. I would say intuition has to do with your will, and conscience has to do with God. Intuition usually involves a choice that has no major moral decision involved. For instance, the example you’ve provided. Because intuition has to do with our will, it is skewed by emotion and requires reason to be accepted and carried out appropriately. In this case, you say your intuition implied not to ask her out, while your emotion said yes. This is a struggle we all go through, but the results have little to do with morals. It’s merely a matter of whether or not the result we seek will be the result we get. In this case, it was sadly not the result you wanted, but nonetheless it did not result in sin . You might have intuition that it will not rain based on how you observe clouds, then act on this intuition by not carrying an umbrella. You’ll get wet if it rains, but no wrong is committed.
Conscience would come into play if this girl already had a boyfriend, or if you already had a girlfriend. In this case, you would act dishonesty and put both you and the other person in emotional danger. Consider the rain example again, except this time your intuition implies it will rain. Let’s say you left your favorite hat at a friend’s house and want it back, but your friend is sick and can not return it if it rains or else he will get sicker. Your intuition implies it will rain but you want this hat, so you tell this friend you don’t believe it will rain. Your conscience (God) will say this is wrong, because if your friend believes you and it rains he will get sicker, and therefore a wrong is committed.
I know it hurts when we take the risk of ignoring our intuition and it backfires. But you’ve committed no wrong. In fact, while it might not seem like it now, this disappointment is helpful for your future, because now you will be more in tune with your intuition. Conscience (God) is the seed for our intuition. It allows our will to sprout, but our choices( the fruit) are up to us. You hoped to bear fruit in the form of a date, but just because this offer was not accepted does not mean your action was in vain. You have become more aware of your intuition and how to overcome your emotions and base your choices on reason. You have strengthened the branch that will eventually bear this fruit. Don’t give up. Stay honest, obey your conscience(God), continue to be kind and humble, and pray. The Lord will help lead you to the right person. Many rejected our Lord, but He continued to teach and heal, and His love prevailed.
Thank you for this interesting question. God be with you, and may He heal your disappointment and help you grow in strength and faith.

Intuition deals with all the stuff we unconsciously gather. We get subliminal messages all the time and other people do not even know or cannot help sending them. Nonverbal communication. We usually get a gut feeling about things in this way. Sometimes it is correct and sometimes not. That is the art of discernment. When asking a girl out what kind of vibe do you get from her? Does she seem interested in you? Any good eye contact?

Intuition might give you a different conclusion than reason. Reason involves logic.

Conscience is very different. It is our moral compass of right and wrong. it must be educated and formed. it has less to do with asking a girl out and more to do with what you do with her on that date.

Yes that sounds correct. In Freudian terms, the Conscience it the Superego, it is what we are taught to do in the form of right and wrong.

Intuition is much more related to the Id and the Ego, as you are pulling thoughts from your feelings and personal thoughts.

Asking a girl out can involve the conscience - sure. But presuming it is good to ask this girl our or not ask her out - such is not so much a question of “conscience”. Judgments of conscience concerns the moral quality of an act or omission. It is about good and evil - judging that such and such is evil and so one must not do so or judging that something is good.

Asking a girl out is of a different order.

(though again there can be moral aspects to such -like is it good to ask this girl out who is a satanist or so we can go get drunk…)

scborromeo.org/ccc/p3s1c1a6.htm#1778

Intuition is defined as: Immediate cognition without the use of rational process.
Conscience is the moral sense of right and wrong, as it affects one’s own behavior.

Now as to your situation, Intuition would be your first inclination, not using any rational process, as to what you want to happen. This without regard to right or wrong.
Conscience would be the assessment of what is the right thing to do in moral terms.

For a dramatic example let’s look at when someone has an accident. For example, If someone is driving along and a car comes at them from a side street and they swerve to avoid being hit, but accidentally hit a bicyclist at the side of the road. The intuition is to flee the scene so one is not held liable for the bicyclist, but a good conscience will compel the driver to stop and see if the bicyclist is injured and help them.

Now, none of this has anything to do with asking a girl out. There is nothing morally wrong with asking a girl out, so that does not apply at all.

I think you are over-thinking this. I would just ask her out and see what happens.

that isnt my only concern, shes not the only problem I’ve had in my life. Sometimes I ask questions, and I always get more than one answer. I just can’t differentiate between them like which is he voice of reason, which is the intuition, which is my conscience?

Now as to your situation, Intuition would be your first inclination, not using any rational process, as to what you want to happen. This without regard to right or wrong.
Conscience would be the assessment of what is the right thing to do in moral terms.

I sort of like that, it makes a lot of sense, maybe the first impulse in any decision isn’t the correct one, I like the line of thinking there.

Intuition deals with all the stuff we unconsciously gather. We get subliminal messages all the time and other people do not even know or cannot help sending them. Nonverbal communication. We usually get a gut feeling about things in this way. Sometimes it is correct and sometimes not. That is the art of discernment. When asking a girl out what kind of vibe do you get from her? Does she seem interested in you? Any good eye contact?

Intuition might give you a different conclusion than reason. Reason involves logic.

Conscience is very different. It is our moral compass of right and wrong. it must be educated and formed. it has less to do with asking a girl out and more to do with what you do with her on that date.

I also liked this point too.

Like I said, this wasn’t really meant to be a should I ask her out thread. I was just concerned about the difference between the two. It’s difficult sometimes for me to differentiate, maybe now I can :slight_smile:

scborromeo.org/ccc/p3s1c1a6.htm#1778

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.