Difference between miracle and magic?

The Apostles healing the sick without giving medical treatment. Moses turned the rod into snake and other miracles. They are similar to magic. My understanding currently is that a miracle is supernatural power coming from the Abrahamic God while magic, from something else.

Yes, miracles are the product of God’s intervention in the ‘normal’ running and laws of His universe.

Magic, can be ‘Satanic’ in origin [ultimately with God’s assent, in as far as God ultimately controls all existence], or it can be human trickery.

Miracles come from God.
The opening poster is correct. Magic comes from hidden forces people seek to channel. Sorcerers and witches, actually, act by the power of Satan, according to the customary Catholic view. There is no white magic, which operates through the power of Satan with this name, as well,

I think this goes further though, beyond the type of magic used, I think the intent is whats important, like, if someone is trying to harm another by this method, or if they are trying to gain worldly riches/ power, using magic, Id say there is a big difference in people using magic for these ends, versus those using it for other less harmful results.

Regarding magic as a whole though, my opinion is that in modern times, it is for the most part, a lost art, something that has largely been lost to the ages, sure, we still have the ancient magic books like Sword of Moses, and I believe 3 other books of magic, that were probably practiced widely long ago, not sure what caused this art to be lost though, it surprises me we dont see more criminal activity using magic, I would have thought more people would try to use this in attempts at robbery, murder, etc in modern times, but we dont…?? Seems like this would be something Satan would encourage in our times.

Miracles are instances of people being helped under the will of God.

Magic is an attempt of human beings to control the supernatural world.

ICXC NIKA

I have considered myself wiccan for the passed 6 years, my understanding of magic has been bringing form to thought. In concentrating an intention from myself to the Universe (which is a new age way of saying source of divinity which is omnipresent) this is in many ways a prayer using archetypes as well as some premeditated actions as a tool for focusing the heart and mind more completely on the intercession.

Is this concept non congruent with Christianity?

Magic (as in Magic tricks) is just an illusion. Miracles on the other hand are nothing of the sort. They come from God and they are good.

To make it clear, I’m just talking about magic as magick meaning like those being done in a fantasy setting by magicians like Merlin or Gandalf in fiction or those done by satanists and Wiccans. Not magic tricks.

LOTR was written by a Catholic, with extremely Catholic philosophy. Have you read it?

One of my all-time favorite books.

OK. I thought I was fairly well read, but what is LOTR? Dumb me.

Magic is either fake, or occult (satans miracles, at the cost of the persons soul)

Miracle is God’s work.

Friend!

All forms of real magic are condemned by.the Catholic Church as.from satan! Its biblical!
Satan’s miracles are at a deadly cost Of the soul

Please confess.

Be.filled with the Holy Spirit who works God’s miracles.

Divination and magic

2115 God can reveal the future to his prophets or to other saints. Still, a sound Christian attitude consists in putting oneself confidently into the hands of Providence for whatever concerns the future, and giving up all unhealthy curiosity about it. Improvidence, however, can constitute a lack of responsibility.

2116 All forms of divination are to be rejected: recourse to Satan or demons, conjuring up the dead or other practices falsely supposed to “unveil” the future.48 Consulting horoscopes, astrology, palm reading, interpretation of omens and lots, the phenomena of clairvoyance, and recourse to mediums all conceal a desire for power over time, history, and, in the last analysis, other human beings, as well as a wish to conciliate hidden powers. They contradict the honor, respect, and loving fear that we owe to God alone.

2117 All practices of magic or sorcery, by which one attempts to tame occult powers, so as to place them at one’s service and have a supernatural power over others - even if this were for the sake of restoring their health - are gravely contrary to the virtue of religion. These practices are even more to be condemned when accompanied by the intention of harming someone, or when they have recourse to the intervention of demons. Wearing charms is also reprehensible. Spiritism often implies divination or magical practices; the Church for her part warns the faithful against it. Recourse to so-called traditional cures does not justify either the invocation of evil powers or the exploitation of another’s credulity.

scborromeo.org/ccc/p3s2c1a1.htm#2117

From the Catechism by the way.

Well- you need to consider the definition of magic in the catechism “…by which one attempts to tame occult powers…” and realize it often doesn’t apply to fictional magic which often doesn’t involve the occult, i.e. conspiring with supernatural forces. For example, Harry Potter treated it as an innate ability along the lines of mutation. Some folks have it, some don’t— it is not derived from some outside source or supernatural power. Similarly, in the ‘Myth’ series by Robert Asprin it’s a physical phenomena that anyone can learn to control and that demons are not supernatural beings but dimension travelers in a multi-dimensional universe.

Anyway, you need to separate fictional ‘magic’ since it varies between authors from what the Roman Catholic church defines. In that case, supernatural events like miracles are through divine intervention of God at His discretion/pleasure/choice-- they can not be commanded, only requested via prayer. Magic in the sense of the catechism is an attempt to conspire with satan or His minions to achieve power over things of this world for one’s own purpose and under one’s control— dangerous because one can’t truly control a supernatural being -they may cooperate up to the point it doesn’t suit their purpose any longer. One doesn’t have an innate supernatural ability for magic under one’s own control.

No, rather dumb me, for not writing out Lord of the Rings. Sorry.

And styrgwillidar…excellent point re fictional magic, which I LOVE.

Toronto Maple Leafs making the playoffs — now there’s a miracle.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.