Difference between Scientology and LDS

What is the difference between LDS and Scientology, please?

Compare www.lds.org and www.mormon.org and www.scientology.org. There is a big difference. Mormonism worships the Christian God, while Scientology doesn’t.

Hope I helped. :slight_smile:

[quote=Chazemataz]Compare www.lds.org and www.mormon.org and www.scientology.org. There is a big difference. Mormonism worships the Christian God, while Scientology doesn’t.

Hope I helped. :slight_smile:
[/quote]

Hmmmm. According to the Catholic dictionary, the Mormons do not worship a Christian God either. So that is not a very helpful answer.

Iwonder, are you going to answer your own question for us? This should be amusing.

When you’re done perhaps you can contrast the differences between tomatoes and airplanes.

[quote=Casen]Iwonder, are you going to answer your own question for us? This should be amusing.

When you’re done perhaps you can contrast the differences between tomatoes and airplanes.
[/quote]

Ha!! Ha!! Ha!! that was funny!!! I starting to get the impression that iwonder is trying to chase all the mormons off this web site. She might be worried that our beliefs might make a little sense.

[quote=iwonder]Hmmmm. According to the Catholic dictionary, the Mormons do not worship a Christian God either. So that is not a very helpful answer.
[/quote]

That’s because the Catholic dictionary was written by Catholics. It’s wrong, but ya know, what can you do?

[quote=wademann]Ha!! Ha!! Ha!! that was funny!!! I starting to get the impression that iwonder is trying to chase all the mormons off this web site. She might be worried that our beliefs might make a little sense.
[/quote]

Not a chance lady. but i do think Mormons are trying to chase Catholics off of the Catholic forum.

I think it was a reasonable question. Mormons think they will inherit a planet and Scientologists think they came from alien planets. Granted it’s an opposite direction, but the similarity is striking.

RE: Morons think they will inherit a planet…

Have we stooped to name calling?

[quote=Casen]RE: Morons think they will inherit a planet…

Have we stooped to name calling?
[/quote]

My God, these people are incredibly touchy and paranoid. It was a MISTYPE. Are you always this thinskinned? so sorry. Maent Mormon.

L. Ron Hubbard professed to have created a new ‘science of the mind’ which he described in **Dianetics: The Modern Science of Mental Health **and elaborated on in numerous other books. He did not claim to have been given the information miraculously by way of visions of angels or golden plates. He professed to have discovered his ideas through years of introspection and personal study. The religious character of Scientology was an afterthought, to avoid the accusation that he was practicing psychology without a license. His writings commenced as secular, pseudo-scientific propositions and only later acquired the stature of ‘scripture’. To this day the Church of Scientology claims that one can practice Dianetics while remaining a Roman Catholic or adherent of any other religious faith. I have a magazine interview between Rosie O’Donnell and John Travolta in which the subject of Scientology comes up–Rosie mentions being raised Roman Catholic and Travolta pointedly declares that she could remain a Catholic while studying Scientology if she were so inclined. (Rosie: The Magazine with Personality, December 2001, page 54)

Joseph Smith on the other hand professed to have established a religion based entirely upon personal revelations given to him by God through angels. It was his intention to do so from the outset. His words were ‘scripture’ from the outset. He believed he was authorized by God to re-organize the Christian religion and that people would have to forsake the denominational churches of his day and join the church he was establishing. He professed to have received golden plates from an angel and to have translated them by the power of God, resulting in the Book of Mormon. He also received numerous personal revelations, recorded in the Doctrine and Covenants; by inspiration, he also translated some Egyptian papyri as well as portions of the book of Genesis; these, together with the account of his First Vision, constitute the Pearl of Great Price.

Had you noticed, though, that Roman Catholicism and Scientology both involve the use of CONFESSION?

Had you noticed that both the Roman Catholic Church and the Mormon church have PRIESTS?

So long as we’re comparing superficial resemblances . . . .:wink:

Had you noticed, though, that Roman Catholicism and Scientology both involve the use of CONFESSION?

Doesn’t Mormonism have a parallel to Confession in the temple interview, except that it is not confidential, and involves prying questions, and documentation of such an interview is required for full participation in church activities?

[quote=Jerusha]Doesn’t Mormonism have a parallel to Confession in the temple interview, except that it is not confidential, and involves prying questions, and documentation of such an interview is required for full participation in church activities?
[/quote]

Um: Mormons have a system for confessions to the bishop of certain sorts of serious sins but this would be different from the pre-temple interview. The interview is not ‘documented’ in the sense that it is written down, recorded, etcetera, though of course one cannot get a temple recommend unless one ‘passes muster’. Interviews and ‘confessions’ in the LDS Church are supposed to be confidential per Church policy. It is said that the same may not necessarily be so in the Church of Scientology–what one ‘confesses’ during Dianetics ‘auditing’, it is said, may be recorded and used later if a person becomes and opponent of Scientology.

But that’s a bit off-topic. You understand of course that I was ‘needling’ iwonder for her rather shallow comparisons between Mormonism and Scientology. I daresay there are coincidental resemblances between Shintoism and Zoroastrianism, for example, but I doubt that anyone would deem them worthy of comment.

Ummmm Reminds me of something, and my own shortcomings in the events. :o :blessyou:

the Mormon religion is based on what Joseph Smith claimed to receive as divine revelation in upstate New York in the early 19th century, written on hidden golden tablets. He was led to them by the angel Moroni, who enabled him through the help of magic spectacles to decipher and interpret the tablets. When the tablets later disappeared Smith with the help of early followers wrote down what he claimed had been revealed to him. On this basis his religion was founded, preached, attracted disciples and grew. The revelation and teachings have changed many times through the judgement and discernment of the elders of the church.

Scientology was founded in the mid-20th century by L Ron Hubbard, a mediocre writer of science fiction, and claims to disdain all acknowledgement of God or a Supreme Being and is essentially a worship of self grown into a multi-million dollar industry. Mormons have a complex system of doctrine, scientologists develop their own personal beliefs based on “correction” of psychological and mental aberrations, including belief in God or reliance on religious systems.

[quote=iwonder]What is the difference between LDS and Scientology, please?
[/quote]

How rude iwonder. The Mormons claim that they worship the Christian God. I was saying simply what they believe. I honestly do not know what you are trying to prove. Guess what? Both Catholics and Satanists believe in giving to charities. what does that mean? Why don’t you try to ask about the differences of Judaism and Wicca while you are at it.

They (LDS and Scientology) both have all the qualities of a cult. Enough said!

[quote=susi75]They (LDS and Scientology) both have all the qualities of a cult. Enough said!
[/quote]

Ok there is another forum that is going over that one, and they have decided that LDS is not a cult.

Maybe we should decide if scientology is a cult…

What does it matter? They are both terribly flawed.

[quote=iwonder]What is the difference between LDS and Scientology, please?
[/quote]

Simple answer the same difference as there is between Catholics and Scientology.
Is there any difference? I really believe Scientology is an off shoot from Catholics so they must be very similar in beliefs. Catholics are definitely closer, than LDS and Scientologists.
:thumbsup: BJ

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.