Difference in swearing in music and movies

I’ve never figured out, why is swearing more tolerable in movies than in music? I don’t have a problem with either, but it seems like people will tolerate a certain amount of swearing in movies, but all it takes is one or two words in a song for people to cover their ears and label the music as sinful.

Thoughts? Or am I just whacko in thinking this?

There is no actual difference. But, if I’m at a stop light and filth is blaring out of the car next to me, it’s a problem.

The Body of Christ, that’s you and me Catholics, got used to coming home from work and turning on the TV. We got used to turning on the radio and as both slowly, gradually went from risque to off color, to that’s a little naughty to cussing and swearing. We, Catholics, have a problem. If mom and dad said these are bad words, we should not be listening to them, at all. (For non-Christians reading this, I am not trying to force but propose.)

If we want to live as Catholics, is our goal to live in a way that is indistinguishable from the rest of the world? Holiness is not optional. I know, some of you might be thinking: Me? Holy? Whoa, to do that, I’d have to stop doing this, watching that, etc. Yep. It may not be easy but there are a lot of worthwhile things each of us could be doing as opposed to vegging out in front of the TV and losing our sense of discernment.

To Catholics: the world is waiting for all of us to be indifferent, to think: Hey, What’s the big deal? The goal is not to be better than other people, the goal is to be a better Catholic. We are in a relationship with a God who calls us friends.

Peace,
Ed

C. S. Lewis pointed out that the language used by perfectly devout and proper and chaste ladies in the Tudor period would be used only by a woman totally abandoned today.

The writers of the Bible were not above using a salty expression or two themselves.

You are exactly right Cluny. A nice look at Paul’s writing in ancient greek, where he uses a vulgar word for feces.

jeffwofford.com/2006/11/wading-in-skubala.html

For the record, I think that swear words that aren’t involving the Lord’s name are not sinful, just vulgar.

Speaking for myself, most movies I am not going to watch more than once, so a swear word will sort of pass me by and it’s gone. Music, on the other hand, I will purchase to listen to over and over, so that would bother me a lot more.

It would also matter to me what the word is. A crude word for feces, I can handle that. Crude names for the sexual act or sexual organs, no. And taking the Lord’s name in vain - no way, ever!

:confused: When did it get all right for the movies and TV to use those words:eek: and actions? When did get all right to use those words:eek: in public? When did we stop saying to people, “please don’t use those words” :eek:in front of me or my family? When did we not get up and go over and turn the TV off? When did we not stop buying the CD’s that used those words?:eek: And when did we not stop going to concerts of performers that used those words? When did we stop taking our children and ourselves to movies that had those words in them? When did parents stop telling their children, don’t use those words? Or even children telling their parents not to use those words? Or nice people don’t say those words? Enough questions to think about.:confused:
It got all right because the public didn’t say “NO”, and kept on buying into all the use of those words. I work at a major concert venue in Nashville, which I really love. I tell people where else in Nashville can a person “see” an NHL hockey game, basketball games, awards shows CMA CMT, and groups and performers that you have listened to for years. I really enjoy the concerts, except when the “Stars” use those words:eek: in their songs. I remember one show that I was asked about. I told the person, I really enjoyed that concert-- UNTIL the performer used those words in his songs. The music was great, the volume of the sound was good, the crowd nice, but the one thing that I’ll remember the most was listening and thinking, “he doesn’t need those words in his songs”. It’s sad in a way, because he and the music industry has bought into “THOSE WORDS”, and even the fans. I just hope things will change. or are we so use to hearing those words:eek: that we just accept them?
(Let’s all say a prayer for Taylor Swift,who didn’t use those words in her SOLD OUT concert in Nashville on Saturday night to the awards show on Sunday night in NYC, where her award speech was interrupted, she could use our prayers)
May God Bless
newbear

Okay, here are my thoughts for what it’s worth. First, I am guilty of this. I absolutely despise music which contains profanity, but I can sit through a rated R movie without giving it a second thought and here’s why:

In a movie, USUALLY, profanity follows after an event or action which, in “real” life, might have caused a similar reaction (use of a curse-word). For example, if you’re watching say a war movie and in the scene a soldier is killed; it would not be unusual for the man beside that soldier to become enraged or maybe panic-stricken, or some other strong emotional reaction which included profanity. Most people can relate (at some level) to the reason behind the profanity and though we may not enjoying hearing it, we may in fact accept it as a reaction to the situation of the scene.

Now, song lyrics cannot setup a situation that warrants profanity. It is simply meant to shock, offend, or reaffirm the ignorant of how they should speak. There is not even a slightly justifiable reason for it other than to “buck the system.” It is simply “in your face,” raw, garbage; and generally, most educated people in this country (the US) anyway, see it for what it is… trash.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.