Difference?

Is there a differnce between the papacy and the petrine ministry?

I would assume there was. Wasn’t Peter the Bishop of Antioch, before traveling to Rome? This would fit under the Petrine Ministry and not under the Papacy.

Peter then traveled to Rome, and became the first Bishop of Rome. This is the wellspring from which our Papacy came from (Other than that whole “Thou art Rock (Kepha)”, thing!).

Once again, I must admit that my knowledge of history is,

NotWorthy

[quote=NotWorthy]I would assume there was. Wasn’t Peter the Bishop of Antioch, before traveling to Rome? This would fit under the Petrine Ministry and not under the Papacy.

Peter then traveled to Rome, and became the first Bishop of Rome. This is the wellspring from which our Papacy came from (Other than that whole “Thou art Rock (Kepha)”, thing!).

Once again, I must admit that my knowledge of history is,

NotWorthy
[/quote]

**The Petrine Ministry is just another synonym for the Papacy, just as the words Sovereign Pontiff and Roman Pontiff. The term is meant to emphasize the origins of the Papacy. Peter’s actions in Antioch has nothing to do with this, it is his very office that’s meant. There can not be two Popes or Petrine Ministries at the same time. I think what you’re referring to is the Apostolic ministry, in which is givin to all the apostles to spread the word and appoint clerics. **

closed #4

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.