Differences between OF and EF

Hello everyone,
I don’t mean to be offensive in any way but I had to deal with a Christian woman that calls herself a “Traditionalist”, who said that the OF of the Holy Mass was valid but ilicit. She said that the OF of the Holy Mass ripped the Holy Mass of almost all its Graces.
I was an alter server for a long time when I was in Portugal, and I had to study the part of the Missal that refers to the EF, but I do not remember seeing anything in the Form and words used that would make the Vernacular version ilicit.
Can anybody explain this to me?

The OF Mass is valid and licit, provided it is celebrated by a priest who has valid orders and the faculties to celebrate Mass. The same is for the EF and all the rites within Holy Mother Church (Eastern and Western)

What the “traditionalist” woman said is not true. There can be as much grace dispensed on a person at the OF Mass and EF Mass. As Pope Emeritus Benedict said in Summorum Pontificum (the motu proprio which gave all Latin church priests the liberty to celebrate the EF), the OF and EF of Mass are equal and enrich each other.

The use of vernacular in the Mass of the Latin Church started in the Roman Missal of 1964, of which I am graced a copy. The Collects are in Latin but the Introit, Ordinary and Readings are in English.

Prior to that the latest EF Tridentine Missal of 1962 was all in Latin and had the name of Saint Joseph added to the Roman Canon (Eucharistic Prayer).

The use of the vernacular in the Latin Church enables many to understand the Mass. Ideally the Ordinary parts of Mass (Kyrie, Gloria, Credo, Sanctus, Agnus Dei) would be sung in Latin.

The use of Latin in the EF Mass unites a majority of Catholics around the globe in the celebration of the Eucharist. From Saigon to South Africa one could easily follow the Mass in their hand Missal.

In the End the Mass is the Mass which we offer to God for the propitiation of our sins.

OF Mass (1970 Roman Missal)

-Commonly Celebrated in the Vernacular
-Can be celebrated facing the faithful (ad populum) or towards the Cross (ad orientem)
-More Readings - 3 year cycle for Sundays, 2 year cycle for weekdays
-More Eucharistic Prayers (Standard 4 as well as for children & reconciliation)
-More audible

EF Mass (1962 Roman Missal)

-Celebrated in Latin (readings are usually repeated in the vernacular before the homily)
-Celebrated facing the Cross (ad orientem) unless church architecture prevents this (i.e the altar at St. Peter’s Basilica)
-One Year cycle of Readings - Epistle, Gradual, Tract (During Lent), Sequence, Gospel
Lessons are proclaimed during Ember/Rogation Days and also during Lent
-The Roman Canon is the Eucharistic Prayer
-More signs, silence and rubrics.

Well said.:thumbsup:

Question answered.

CLOSED

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.