Differences in the OF & EF funeral?

Howdy all, I have been going through the different liturgies(?) of the Church and have come up on the funeral liturgy. I was wondering what are the main differences between the OF & EF? I'm not familiar with the EF funeral

Vestments at EF funerals are always black unless it is for a baptized child under the age of seven. Vestments at OF funerals, as you know, are subject to a variety of options.

The Dies Irae is sung as a Sequence in the EF funeral. This is not in the OF but sometimes it is managed to be shoved in there in practice.

The Proper Prayers of the Mass are different, I believe.

Instead of looking like this,
http://www.osv.com/Portals/0/enewsletter/OSVNewsweekly/20111009/1009_funeral.jpg

the covered casket at an EF funeral looks like this:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_5rsC2IPDMXg/SwLmXqW5uTI/AAAAAAAAA50/d3T5QKLcA_Y/s1600/02-catafaulque.jpg

The focus of the two Masses is different. The OF seems to focus on celebrating the life of the deceased while the EF focuses on praying for the soul of the deceased.

I prefer the latter. Certainly seems more appropriate.:)

Aite, thanks! Can you choose to be buried according to the EF or do you have to do an OF?

[quote="NorthTexan88, post:5, topic:293232"]
Aite, thanks! Can you choose to be buried according to the EF or do you have to do an OF?

[/quote]

Yes, one may choose the Usus Antiquior. However, if one does, I think it would be advisable to plan ahead (as morbid as that may sound) to ensure that there is a priest both capable and willing to do it. Seems to me its something to consider when establishing a "living will" to cover the eventuality.

[quote="malphono, post:6, topic:293232"]
Yes, one may choose the Usus Antiquior. However, if one does, I think it would be advisable to plan ahead (as morbid as that may sound) to ensure that there is a priest both capable and willing to do it. Seems to me its something to consider when establishing a "living will" to cover the eventuality.

[/quote]

It is really morbid! Even though I'm really young I already planned mine out and put one of my frnds in charge of it, due to having all Protestant relatives, and they just laughed lol. But I think I'm gona change it to an EF bc I know a priest who would be able to do it

[quote="malphono, post:6, topic:293232"]

[/quote]

This may also require the person to purchase in advance black vestments and a black pall. I highly recommend pre-purchasing the black pall as they're not something that is as common anymore and seem to take awhile to come in.

It should be noted, that typically your funeral is supposed to happen in your territorial parish, or the one you're registered at. If you don't normally attend the EF, let alone a parish that offers it, you could run into some issues.

I've never been to an actual EF Funeral, but I have attended the All Soul's Day Requiem Mass. The solemnity and sobriety of it was very moving for me and almost brought me to tears. I was a little freaked out during the Dies Irae as there was a rather large jumbo jet flying low directly above our parish as we're somewhat close to the airport when planes are landing.

One major thing you'll notice at an EF Requiem Mass as opposed to the OF Funeral Mass is that you won't hear On Eagles Wings.

Absolutely.

[quote="NorthTexan88, post:7, topic:293232"]
It is really morbid! Even though I'm really young I already planned mine out and put one of my frnds in charge of it, due to having all Protestant relatives, and they just laughed lol. But I think I'm gona change it to an EF bc I know a priest who would be able to do it

[/quote]

Even for someone young like yourself, I really would suggest doing-up a "living will" at some point. The pastor may have to call in a favor from another priest, but it'd be rather embarrassing to publicly spurn a person's legally recorded last wishes. Just food for thought. ;)

[quote="Deo_Gratias42, post:8, topic:293232"]
This may also require the person to purchase in advance black vestments and a black pall. I highly recommend pre-purchasing the black pall as they're not something that is as common anymore and seem to take awhile to come in.

[/quote]

Most priests who offer the Usus Antiquior would likely have (or at least have access to) a full array of vestments, so that part shouldn't be too much of a problem. The black pall, however, might be an issue. In a pinch, I suppose a violet pall would suffice.

It should be noted, that typically your funeral is supposed to happen in your territorial parish, or the one you're registered at. If you don't normally attend the EF, let alone a parish that offers it, you could run into some issues.

[/quote]

Hence my suggestion to spell things out in advance.

One major thing you'll notice at an EF Requiem Mass as opposed to the OF Funeral Mass is that you won't hear On Eagles Wings.

[/quote]

I should hope not! :eek: I'd far prefer to hear that 747 circling overhead.

[quote="corsair, post:4, topic:293232"]
The focus of the two Masses is different. The OF seems to focus on celebrating the life of the deceased while the EF focuses on praying for the soul of the deceased.

[/quote]

Absolute nonsense. In fact as my old late English teacher might have said "Laddie, this is tripe."
No matter the form, a funeral Mass is never a celebration of someones life

[quote="Pat_the_elder, post:12, topic:293232"]
Absolute nonsense. In fact as my old late English teacher might have said "Laddie, this is tripe."

[/quote]

It's not supposed to be, but I have yet to go to a Catholic funeral that wasn't treated as a celebration of the deceased's life. The person was instantly canonized and in Heaven, and we should be filled with joy. I can't tell you how many times I was instructed to wear something in bright colours because this a is joyous occasion, that we are celebrating this person's life, and not focusing on their death. :mad:

[quote="Pat_the_elder, post:12, topic:293232"]

[/quote]

It isn't supposed to be, but that is what they are almost always made to be.

[quote="corsair, post:4, topic:293232"]

[/quote]

It seems to me like the OF focuses on the potential of eternal life. and not on the passing of temporal life like the EF does.

[quote="Exorcist, post:15, topic:293232"]
It seems to me like the OF focuses on the potential of eternal life. and not on the passing of temporal life like the EF does.

[/quote]

The EF Requiem Mass focuses on praying for the repose of the soul of the deceased, save for the Mass for infants, which is a joyous occasion because they haven't gained the use of reason and thus could not have sinned.

[quote="Exorcist, post:15, topic:293232"]

[/quote]

The problem is when individual priests either say definitively that Jimmy is in heaven, or come very close to it. It is wrong, a lie, and is cruel. I don't know why they can't just preach on the Four Last Things and then earnestly beseech those attending the funeral to pray for the deceased's soul.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.