Different "christs"?

So if we have over a billion Christian denominations who believe in Christ, does that mean there’s a billion “Christs” so to speak in each denomination? :o

Let me explain: attending a Protestant church, sure, I knew who Christ was and the way the pastor was explaining Christ, etc. made me think, okay, so Jesus loves us and died for us. Nice.

Coming into the CC, I get a totally different “Christ”. This one seems more REAL in a sense. And this is WHAT attracted me to the CC.

I don’t know if this is my bizarre thinking (sorry, I can have real deep thoughts sometimes) but it SEEMS to me that each denomination views Christ so differently that it seems like it’s a different “christ”. Make sense?

I’m not teaching heresy or anything, this is just what I sense.

I also want to point out I’m NOT trying to be rude or disrespectful toward other denominations - I’m glad they love Christ and His Word.

Is this what others noticed?

I thought it odd that some people see Christ as someone who will forgive them of there sins (no matter how insensere it might seem) and will accept them as they are (no matter how out of line they might be) because Jesus loves them. And others will say that Jesus will Forgive us if we are senceare and try to reform ourshelves.

Would that count as “Different Christs”?

[quote=Paris Blues]So if we have over a billion Christian denominations who believe in Christ, does that mean there’s a billion “Christs” so to speak in each denomination?
[/quote]

Your numbers are way off, there are a few thousand denominations, some very closely related. There is only one Christ, it is Jesus, the different “denominations” simply feel the “their” interpretation of His message is correct. We need to pray that our separated brothers and sisters in Christ return to His one, true, holy, Catholic, and Apostolic Church.
I do know what you mean though, some “Christian” denominations seem Christian in name only.

[quote=Paris Blues]So if we have over a billion Christian denominations who believe in Christ, does that mean there’s a billion “Christs” so to speak in each denomination? :o

Let me explain: attending a Protestant church, sure, I knew who Christ was and the way the pastor was explaining Christ, etc. made me think, okay, so Jesus loves us and died for us. Nice.

Coming into the CC, I get a totally different “Christ”. This one seems more REAL in a sense. And this is WHAT attracted me to the CC.

I don’t know if this is my bizarre thinking (sorry, I can have real deep thoughts sometimes) but it SEEMS to me that each denomination views Christ so differently that it seems like it’s a different “christ”. Make sense?

I also want to point out I’m NOT trying to be rude or disrespectful toward other denominations - I’m glad they love Christ and His Word.

[/quote]

Let’s look at this through analogy. My parents see me one way, my friends at school see me another way, my boyfriend sees me in still a different way, and so on and on… My Army buddies have a different picture of me than my church friends have. These pictures of me overlap, and some people certainly have misconceptions about me, but that doesn’t mean that they’ve all met different people calling themselves Kristina. If someone who has only heard lies about me starts to describe me to someone who actually knows me, the person who knows me will say, “You are wrong. That’s not what she’s like at all.” They will not say, “You must be talking about a different Kristina.”

This kind of thinking is reflective of the common idea that believers create their own god. I’m not saying you hold this idea, but I think most of us have been influenced by it. God is a real person, more of a reality than I am. People who try to worship Him are all trying to worship the same God. Sometimes, they have such a wrong picture of Him that He is unrecognizable, but that doesn’t mean that there’s another God out there. (I’m not saying anything here about polytheists or those traditionally called pagans, those who do not try to worship the one, true God.)

[quote=Paris Blues]So if we have over a billion Christian denominations who believe in Christ, does that mean there’s a billion “Christs” so to speak in each denomination? :o

[/quote]

Jesus is the same yesterday,today and tommorrow. He never changes. It,s you that drew closer to Him. :thumbsup: God Bless

The problem with most protestant denominations is that they completely ignore that Christ had a cross. For some reason they think, “Oh, He’s risen! Let the good times roll!” and disregard a good 9/10ths of the Bible. He still has to come back a second time. You still have to live your life according to His laws and face two more judgments. What i’m saying is we aren’t in heaven yet, so we shouldn’t act like it. St. Paul wrote in an epistle that every day he had to work hard and subdue his flesh to ensure that as he was running the race, he wouldn’t falter and not finish at the last minute. We all have to do this. I don’t understand why the “Once saved, always saved” crowd feels it is okay to ignore this particular inspired passage from God, but i think many of them sincerely try to live their lives pleasing the Him, so i’m sure His mercy will shine on them. I still pray for them, of course, but i think the apathetic and areligious are more important to work on since they don’t perceive a need for Christ.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.