Different Jesus

What can you say to someone who says that they think that The Catholic Jesus is different than the Protestant Jesus?

Or is conversation with such a person who says this pretty much a lost cause? :shrug:

I tried to do a search on the forum to see if this has been covered but I couldn’t find anything.

Thanks and

God bless

I would want to know what differences they believe exist. It would be rather difficult to have a dialogue about such a general statement. They’d have to give me some pretty specific examples of what they believe the differences are before I felt like I could engage them in any kind of meaningful discussion.

I would tend to agree. Since it was the Catholic Church who made the decision on what Books should be in Bible it seems odd that we would be worshipping someone else…

Joe

I agree.
Need to do a 20 questions first to see what the issues are.

James

What do you mean by different? Do you mean different in philosophy/teachings, or literally, we’re worshiping separate human beings?

Thanks for the responses, here is the background to my question:

My wife was talking to her step mother and my wife point blank asked her not to discuss what she, “believes” the Catholic Church teaches to our baby when he/she gets older. My father in law and his wife subscribe to all the anti-Catholic propaganda that is out there and my wife is afraid what will be said to our child when they are around them. Her step mother told her that she could not promise that she wouldn’t talk to our kid about it because she felt obligated because she believed Catholics believe in a different Jesus than she and my wifes dad does.

I told my wife that that is a long ways away to worry about it now, but she said it was something that worried her. You know how it is with pregnant women :shrug: :smiley:

God bless

I’ve heard the same puzzling statement before. I think what they mean is that the Catholic view of who Jesus is differs from their view (the “Bible” view, as they would put it) of who Jesus is.

It seems this tactic is used to “one-up” the Catholic. Catholics will often argue that the Catholic Church goes back to Jesus himself. They will usually disagree, but they cannot argue that the Catholic Church is certainly much older than wherever it is they go on Sundays. So they draw up this false distinction between the “Catholic Jesus” and the “Bible Jesus” to basically say, “my beliefs go further back than yours do.”

I would say it is probably hard to begin a discussion on this point. You probably need to ask a few questions to see what are their underlying problems with and misconceptions of the Church.

In my experience, all the issues that are brought up really come down to a question of authority. If you accept the authority of the Church, everything else follows. If you don’t, then it’s really hard to get anywhere in your discussion. The best you can hope for is to maybe shed some light on the misconceptions of the Church they may have (if they are open to it).

You and I must have clicked the “submit reply” button at the same time :slight_smile:

That it is your step-MIL definitely changes your approach. You may not have to worry about it in the immediate future, but the time will come quickly enough (my daughter is already one and I still can’t believe I’m a father!) Now is certainly a good time to think about it.

Of course, the first thing you want to do is PRAY. I’m sure you know this already, but I say it anyway because it’s true!

Next, it would seem the most important thing you can do is this: As soon a comment is made, make every effort to bring the correct Catholic teaching to their attention at the soonest appropriate time. Perhaps such “corrections” might also be better coming from your wife. You would know better than I!

Hopefully, in time, with gentle corrections from your wife and yourself, your in-laws may come to a greater appreciation of what Catholic really believe (instead of what they think Catholics believe.) If they can at least come to this appreciation, they probably won’t feel the need to make comments.

It’s good that your wife stood her ground and brought this to their attention. She should continue to do so!

And, of course, if you can keep an ear out for what your in-laws tell your children, you can remedy whatever misinformation they receive.

Of course, everyone’s situation is different, so feel free to take all of what I’ve said with a large grain of salt!

Some persons have been brought up surrounded with and indoctrinated by so much anti-Catholic propoganda that they believe Catholicism to be not only false but an abomination. They perceive us as hell-bound idol worshipers bound to an evil system run by authoritarian pederasts. Overcoming such indoctrination is nearly impossible; it can probably only be done with good example and making correct information available.

simply give your children a strong biblical backing on whom Jesus is. So, when she attacks they will see it for what it is.

I was in a situation somewhat similar to yours, except it dealt with the issue of racism. Some of the members of my family are a bit racist, I’m afraid.

I did ask them not to make racist comments around my children, and while they did try to respect my wishes, every once in a while someone would slip up.

When that happened, I would take my child aside afterward and discuss it with her. I explained that was the way grandma had been raised, and it is very hard for her to stop thinking like that since she’s been thinking like that all her life. I explained that we know better than that. I also made it clear she was to respect her grandparents, but not necessarily all their opinions.

If I were you, I would do something similar with my child and also add that he should feel free to come to you with any questions about Catholicism. I would explain that Catholicism is the truth, and the truth can stand up to any questioning.

well said, Kay Cee.:thumbsup:

Since the Septuagint was thrown out, it is more easily undertstandable that non-Catholics might have a different, and incomplete view of Christ. first I’ve heard of this. It may be anomalous.

Christ’s peace.

They’re still at it huh RC? What a lovely bunch.

One thing that you have seen in the past is that they often make allegations that they can’t support but which sound damning at first blush.

Here’s the main passage that these people will quote you.
2nd Corinthians 11:1-4
[1] I wish you would bear with me in a little foolishness. Do bear with me!
[2] I feel a divine jealousy for you, for I betrothed you to Christ to present you as a pure bride to her one husband.
[3] But I am afraid that as the serpent deceived Eve by his cunning, your thoughts will be led astray from a sincere and pure devotion to Christ.
[4] For if some one comes and preaches another Jesus than the one we preached, or if you receive a different spirit from the one you received, or if you accept a different gospel from the one you accepted, you submit to it readily enough.

As usual it doesn’t wash either scripturally or as secular fact. It ties in with Galatians 1 about the condemnation of “a different gospel”, which is another load of propaganda that is laid on our most holy faith from time to time. I had been thinking about that and posting about the differences between the gospel of salvation as preached by most n-Cs and the one that we proclaim as Catholics and in the end it led to this article on my blog.
Who REALLY Preaches "A Different ****Gospel"?

[FONT=Verdana][size=3]Their whole premise is that the Catholic faith preaches a different Jesus and a different gospel, but as you know and will see again from my article, that is far from the truth and in fact proves to apply to those who hold to the modern post reformation new winds of doctrines of men instead of the Catholic Church.
Pax Domini sit semper vobiscum.
[/size][/FONT]

Thanks for everyones replies.

Yes CM they are still at it. Shocking isn’t it? :blush: I had heard the different Gospel thing, but when my wife told me about this different Jesus thing it took me by surprise. I had never heard of or even considered that the Catholic Jesus would be different than the Protestant Jesus.

Anyways I told my wife to tell her, “I believe in the Jesus of the Bible… Which Jesus do you believe in?” :thumbsup:

God bless

She has probably never been to mass. Hmmmmm…:newidea:

There is only one Jesus and only one Jesus in heaven and underheaven and every knee bends at this name Jesus.
Grace Angel

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.