Different Kind of Masterbation Question (slightly graphic)

So for years before I decided to give myself to God, I struggled with masturbation. But ive been making a good effort to not do it. But a few weeks ago I think I had a wet dream. I did some research and decided that it must have been a wet dream. Well the same thing may have happened again. I honestly cant remember what I did or if I was awake. I plan on confessing anyway. But does anyone have any perspective on this? If this counts as mortal sin I don’t wanna die before confessing.:frowning:

The Catechism says here that masturbation is understood to be ‘deliberate stimulation’

A wet dream isn’t deliberate

2352 By masturbation is to be understood the deliberate stimulation of the genital organs in order to derive sexual pleasure. "Both the Magisterium of the Church, in the course of a constant tradition, and the moral sense of the faithful have been in no doubt and have firmly maintained that masturbation is an intrinsically and gravely disordered action."138 “The deliberate use of the sexual faculty, for whatever reason, outside of marriage is essentially contrary to its purpose.” For here sexual pleasure is sought outside of “the sexual relationship which is demanded by the moral order and in which the total meaning of mutual self-giving and human procreation in the context of true love is achieved.”

If you were asleep, it’s not any kind of sin. If you were conscious and awake, it could be a sin and may or not be mortal. In order for a sin to be mortal, 3 conditions must be present: 1. the action must be one of “grave matter” (which masturbation would be); 2. the person would have had to know it was a grave matter prior to committing the sin; and 3. the person would have to give “complete consent” to commit the sin. (see CCC#1858-1859)

The Catechism has a specific paragraph on masturbation as follows:
*CCC#2352b To form an equitable judgment about the subjects’ moral responsibility and to guide pastoral action, one must take into account the affective immaturity, force of acquired habit, conditions of anxiety or other psychological or social factors that lessen, if not even reduce to a minimum, moral culpability.*That paragraph shouldn’t be used to make excuses or fool oneself that oneself has not sinned, but if there were mitigating factors that led to the masturbatory act, then it may only be venial or minimally sinful. It can sometimes be tough to try to “quantify” a sin, but if you feel some degree of certainty that you committed a sin, mortal or otherwise, just go to confession when you are able and don’t worry. God will see your intent to do so. That’s what confession is for. :slight_smile:

if it’s hard for you to know if it was a wet dream, look in it in context how it happened. If is was a dream, there is always something different than reality. Maybe a change in the room, or a change in the way you lay in your bed for example. In this case it isn’t a sin, just as the others before me said. I also had times when I didn’t sure if I was awake or not. But then I realize it was day when it happened but in reality it is night. So, it was a dream.

I have had a wet dream or to. While I did feel guilty that it happened I didn’t feel it affect my relationship with God as much. In short you did not commit a mortal sin.

It’s just still very confusing. Last time it happened I remembered a dream. But I don’t remember any dream this time. I just remember becoming aware and realizing it was too late. I guess I may have stimulated myself, but I’m not sure. It could not have been long (seconds) until I came to my senses. But at that point it was too late.

I say all this cause it’s never happened before. I’ve only had experiences like this after giving up masturbation and making a real effort to stop. In the past, I’ve felt guilty. But now I feel more confused.

A nocturnal emission is a natural part of a boy’s life. Yhey only happen to get rid of the old and excess *** to make room for the new and fresh studd. Don’t worry about it, you didn’t do a thing. Your body does that type of stuff for you. Don’t be scrupulous: it was not a sin in any way whatsoever.

Thanks everyone. I still might mention it to the Priest. Its just so weird. I think a sign that it may not be a mortal sin is that I’m so confused about what happened. Was I awake? Dreaming? Half awake? Haha.

Does it matter if I had a dream or not BTW? Sorry if im getting compulsive about this.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.