Different psalm than in missal

Hi guys,

Every now and then, I notice that during mass we will sing a different psalm than the one in the missal. This happened today (during the vigil mass).

I noticed the missal said something like "Psalms x, y, or z may be used in place of the following," but the one we used was not any of those choices.

Is this fine? Has anyone else noticed this at their church?

Sometimes even the gospel reading is different from what is in the missal. I have noticed this sometimes on the EWTN Daily Mass also.:shrug: EWTN though follows a Franciscan Spirituality and they sometimes observe Saints that the rest of us may not. I think that may happen with other religious orders as well.:shrug:

Weird. Is that like… allowed?

Allowed or not, I don’t know. But it happens!:shrug:

According to the GIRM, the priest does have flexibility, in most cases, in choosing the readings for the Liturgy of the Word. (see Chapter VII)

There are additional options.

From the GIRM:

61…In the Dioceses of the United States of America, instead of the Psalm assigned in the Lectionary, there may be sung either the Responsorial Gradual from the Graduale Romanum, or the Responsorial Psalm or the Alleluia Psalm from the Graduale Simplex, as described in these books, or an antiphon and Psalm from another collection of Psalms and antiphons, including Psalms arranged in metrical form, providing that they have been approved by the Conference of Bishops or the Diocesan Bishop. Songs or hymns may not be used in place of the Responsorial Psalm.

At our Church, each cantor has a repertoire of 2-4 psalms (that are sung). It depends on who’s there as to which psalm is sung.

Psalms that are read or spoken (instead of sung) are from the missal.

This is perfectly normal. All orders have their own calendars. While there will be many similarities with the general Roman calendar, there will also be important differences: either saints specific to the order added and some from the Roman calendar removed (or downgraded to an optional memorial), or saints that are of a lower degree increased. For example, St. Benedict (July 11) is a memorial in the general calendar, a feast in Europe as he is a patron of Europe, and a solemnity in the Benedictine order. Similarly his passing (March 21) is not observed in the Roman calendar but is a feast in the Benedictine calendar. Cistercians also have a calendar, etc.

Then some parishes celebrate the feast of their Patron Saint.

Our priest usually uses one of the Seasonal Psalms.

OK, so my parish often uses a different response… and sometimes the Psalms AND response are different.
The above reference: is there a published list of what the CofB say can be used in lieu of what is in the Missalette? I just feel our music directors run the liturgy too much (I may be wrong), and that they may be deviating a bit outside where they should.

Since they can be approved by individual bishops, I think you’d either have to check with your diocese or else assume that your parish is using one of the approved options.

Also, was it a saint’s memorial? Perhaps they exercised the option to use the readings from the saint’s Common rather than from the weekday.

[quote="SuscipeMeDomine, post:6, topic:328387"]
There are additional options.

From the GIRM:

61....In the Dioceses of the United States of America, instead of the Psalm assigned in the Lectionary, there may be sung either the Responsorial Gradual from the Graduale Romanum, or the Responsorial Psalm or the Alleluia Psalm from the Graduale Simplex, as described in these books, or an antiphon and Psalm from another collection of Psalms and antiphons, including Psalms arranged in metrical form, providing that they have been approved by the Conference of Bishops or the Diocesan Bishop. Songs or hymns may not be used in place of the Responsorial Psalm.

[/quote]

Sometimes, on feasts or solemnities that occur on weekdays, I've sung the Responsorial Gradual, which is **very **different than a traditional Responsorial Psalm - our pastor seems to prefer these as they are quite short. On other occasions the music director has given me (the cantor) the choice between two versions of the same Responsorial Psalm to sing, the one in the Roman Missal or the Grail version, depending on which I prefer.

On Sundays we've done seasonal Psalms but in the past few years we've moved away from seasonal Psalms and are now chanting the Psalms from the Missal - which I much prefer, both as cantor and participant in the Mass.

Our parish is staffed by Jesuits and on feast days of Jesuit saints they will use the Jesuit Ordo.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.