Different severities of near occasion?

Hi! I’m looking for info on near vs remote ocassion of sin. Everything I can find is pretty polar. It speaks only of near occasion (Sin is almost guarenteed or at least extremely likely) or remote (not likely at all) And they go on to explain that we are not required to avoid a remote occasion, because that would eliminate almost all contact, which makes me see remote as meaning “no chance whatsoever”. Is there a degree in the middle? Such as, quite likely, but equally resistable for the right person or, something that has lead to sin before, but it’s rare? I already understand about avoidable and unavoidable occasions.

[quote="BridgetMay, post:1, topic:322220"]
Hi! I'm looking for info on near vs remote ocassion of sin. Everything I can find is pretty polar. It speaks only of near occasion (Sin is almost guarenteed or at least extremely likely) or remote (not likely at all) And they go on to explain that we are not required to avoid a remote occasion, because that would eliminate almost all contact, which makes me see remote as meaning "no chance whatsoever". Is there a degree in the middle? Such as, quite likely, but equally resistable for the right person or, something that has lead to sin before, but it's rare? I already understand about avoidable and unavoidable occasions.

[/quote]

"something that has lead to sin before, but it's rare" would be a remote occasion.

An occasion in which sin is "quite likely, but equally resistable for the right person" would seem to be too close to being a near occasion to be comfortable to voluntarily enter into it, if you are talking about serious sin.

In general you are right; we are given proximate/near and remote occasions as polar opposites. We need to apply prudence to determine whether any given occasion should be considered near occasion for sin, and thus to be avoided if possible.

It's sort of like the degrees of sin. We have mortal sin and venial sin, but it may not be entirely clear where any given sin fits (eg theft can be either grave matter or merely venial, depending on amount/circumstances/etc). Sins can be more or less grave, just as occasions for sin can be more or less near.

I don't think you'll find any more specific advice than what you seem to already know. The Church gives us guidelines here, but beyond this it's up to us to use our best judgement in any given situation.

Thank you : ) I figured it was mostly a situation of discernment, I was jsut wondering if there was any guidance given. I also agree pretty much with your reasoning; I think many people have something that has lead to a sin, but only occasionally, and not nearly as often as it doesn't. Addtionally, I was thinking of people to whom eventually, a near occasion becomes a remote occasion over time. Still with the possibility it could happen, maybe an occasional slip, but a much higher rate of no temptation.

Bridget-May,
As you/we grow closer to GOD, we become by default more sensitive to sin in our lives and the "who" or "what" that leads us to sin. And simultaneously, we learn why we are not "living saints", as the courage required to truly severe the relationships and/or avoid the scenarios and circumstances and locations in which we have sinned and which we know will lead to sin is sorely tested. The "knowing" that we are approaching a "near occassion" vs the absolute surgical severing of the "who" and "what" from our lives is very difficult.
St. Francisis of Assissi had a very serious challenge with sexual desires and he literally rolled naked in thorn bushes to wound his body so he would severe his thoughts from the near occassion of that sin - many times. He was a living saint as he demonstrated he courage to take the action to stop the "near occassion of sin".
This is not intended to be an advocacy for self-mutilation, but to demonstrate that our thoughts of loving GOD will teach us when we are approaching a sin, but it takes true courage to challenge each sin with a desire to avoid and not return and repeat. I would suggest the first and easiest step would be to sanitize our environment (living space)of "any and all" material that we can control that has led to sin, beginning with the electronic entertainment we have allowed.
May GOD Bless your efforts.

With a lot of things, that were past occasions of sin for someone, I think there's always the risk that it will always be a bit higher than an absolute remote occasion of sin, but not really a near. We are called to sin no more, and to avoid whatever leads us to sin. But for a lot of people, there are things in their life where they know it might have made them stumble a couple times in the past, and although they of course won't be giving in, they may understand that it could again someday, in a moment of weakness. I think in cases like that one has to ask, is the good I get out of this propotionate enough to negate the potential risk?

Another question; in what way do you judge if something is a remote occasion? In the moment? judging from the past? from the potential future? Do you weigh it by saying, this is something that has a chance of leading me into a sin, there's that risk, but it's a small one, or do you say, this is something will probably tempt me at some point, because it has before, but that's a small risk day to day? I guess I wonder if you weigh it based on the very present, the future, or the overall

I think you have to judge yourself based on where you are in your life at the moment and how vulnerable you might be to a particular sin. Like - if the temptation is strong and you know it is a sin, then i would do everything to remove the temptation etc. If the temptation isnt strong, then you need not remove it necessarily. Of course, sometimes you also have to.consider other people and judge what might be a near occasion of sin for them if you know them. Eg. If someone struggles with jealousy, then you wouldnt flaunt your assets in front of them etc. Basically being tempted to sin is not a happy state.

A near occasion for a mortal sin is some thing or person or place etc what *generally *leads (or likely or always) one to commit a particular mortal sin...or likely will cause one to commit the mortal sin in question.

Such can be of a nature that it generally leads most to sin...or particular to a person.

Ordinarily we are obliged to avoid such. (Though there can be certain exceptions).

It is not just a temptation per se. Often times one must be around certain temptations due to duty or the simply the society we live in.

And it is not a "remote occasion" where one could be perhaps tempted but generally one does not fall. Such are often in our society.

There can also at times be "necessary" near occasions....one can speak with ones confessor in regards to such.

A good confessor too can help one judge.

[quote="Joy2day, post:7, topic:322220"]
I think you have to judge yourself based on where you are in your life at the moment and how vulnerable you might be to a particular sin. Like - if the temptation is strong and you know it is a sin, then i would do everything to remove the temptation etc. If the temptation isnt strong, then you need not remove it necessarily. Of course, sometimes you also have to.consider other people and judge what might be a near occasion of sin for them if you know them. Eg. If someone struggles with jealousy, then you wouldnt flaunt your assets in front of them etc. Basically being tempted to sin is not a happy state.

[/quote]

That can be a hard one :( there have been occasions where I assume something must be an occasion of sin for someone, based on their morals or lifestyles, and they have to assure me over and over that it isn't. I guess it's hard to judge with temptations that may not have something to show on the outside. I've learned to trust what someone judges for themselves; otherwise, I've found myself guilty of over-judgement :(

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.