Different versions of Sirach

I’ve been doing a bit of reading concerning Wisdom in the Old Testament being a type of Mary, and I came across Sirach 24. More specifically, there is a verse in there, at least in the Douay Riehms version, that says something to the extent of “he who created me dwelled in my tabernacle” which seems to fit Mary exactly, but doesn’t really make sense in context. Also, when I compared it to other versions, the corresponding verse says something to the extent of “the one who created me assigned a place for my tent,” which doesn’t seem to fit Mary as well but makes more sense. Also, it’s a completely different verse (24:12 in Douay Riehms and 24:8 in the others). Does anyone know why it’s so different/which translation is more accurate?

I think I heard before that Widsom is the Holy Spirit. Not sure though, I was Protestant last year so I haven’t read Sirach before.

Following this thread.

In the Douay-Rheims, Sirach is called Ecclesiasticus. I just read the entirety of chapter 24 and IMHO, it’s all about Jesus. For the most part, I base my interpretation on this line:

“[41] I, like a brook out of a river of a mighty water; I, like a channel of a river and like an aqueduct, came out of paradise.”.

There is only One who “came out of paradise” as this line describes, and the rest of the chapter fits perfectly with the subject of it being Jesus. I could be wrong, but it certainly seems to me to be pointing directly to Jesus. At first, I thought it was about the Holy Spirit until I read a bit more and, finally, that line. Then, I looked back over a few lines and found others that also confirm that it’s about Jesus.

[5] I came out of the mouth of the most High, the firstborn before all creatures

I think the whole passage below refers to the Mass and the Holy Eucharist:

[26] Come over to me, all ye that desire me, and be filled with my fruits. [27] For my spirit is sweet above honey, and my inheritance above honey and the honeycomb. [28] My memory is unto everlasting generations. [29]They that eat me, shall yet hunger: and they that drink me, shall yet thirst. [30] He that hearkeneth to me, shall not be confounded: and they that work by me, shall not sin.

When the passage says, “they that shall eat/drink me shall yet hunger/thirst”, I think it’s referring to the physical effect of the ‘eating’ and ‘drinking’ of the ‘bread and wine’ in Holy Communion, which do not satisfy our physical hunger or thirst, but they certainly have the spiritual effect of our being “filled with my fruits”, spiritually. They’re not meant to physically feed us. The Holy Eucharist is the Heavenly Food that Jesus left for us, to feed our souls. It’s not meant to be earthly food.

Again, this is all JMHO.

It talks about Wisdom being created though, which would rule out Jesus. The way I’ve heard it explained is that Mary was part of God’s plan in the beginning, and His conception of her was there in the beginning.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.