Different words in readings

Hi,

I use my St Joe’s Missal at Sunday Mass because our church does not use missalettes and I get SO much more out of the readings when I can read along. Especially since some of our lectors have very poor diction.

Anyways, I recently noticed that the Gospel that the priest reads does not correspond exactly to my Missal. It’s the same reading, just different wording.

Can you please explain it to me, and let me know if the priest is allowed to read from a different lectionary.

Thanks

Do you have an older translation or did he use the older translation?

If you look in the beginning of your missal it should somewhere tell you which version of the Bible your readings are from. If you are in the United States it would most likely be the NAB (New American Bible) for the OT and NT readings.

The New Testament of the NAB was revised somewhere around 1986 and the Lectionary has had several revisions to reflect those NAB changes.

The Psalms are from another translation.

What is the date of your missal?

Here’s what it says inside:

New…St Joseph
Sunday Missal
Complete Edition

With the “New American Bible” text
from the revised Sunday lectionary.

The next page has Copyright 1999-1986-1977-1974

If you’re in the US, I don’t know why the readings would be slightly different unless your parish is using another country’s Lectionary; I’ve heard that some US parishes illicitly use the Canadian Lectionary.

Another possibility is that the missal is current, but the parish lectionary has not been updated.

Unfortunately, that could very well be the case. There are some parishes down here that are still using the old translation, as opposed to the new one. That might also be the case for the Book of the Gospels as well.

This is the case at the small mission church I attend. The lectionary is older and still has, after the readings, “This is the Word of God” instead of “The Word of God”.

It’s a little disconcerting if you are following along in the missalette.

Maybe you can find a donor to get them the Chapel-sized newer version of the Lectionary. These run about $59 apiece.

I think he’s using the Canadian Lectionary. Reason is…during the opening prayer he changed the words from “brothers” to “brothers and sisters”.

The 1st 2 readings are exactly the same as in my missal. It’s the Gospel that’s different. And yesterday I did notice that some of the changes were along the same line as the opening prayer…it was a more nonsexist kind of thing.

Should I say something to our bishop? This priest is leaving in 3 months, so I’m not sure if anything would be done. There are a lot of other abuses that he does, so just add this to the LONG list.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.