Difficulty with loving people of different faiths

The Catholic Church holds that while other faiths don’t have the same fullness of truth as us, they still have truths within them and their followers are just as loved by God as we are.

But when I was a teenager, I tended to drift in and out of thinking tha several non Judeo-Christian faiths were “100% identical to Satanism,” that it “was a shame that early Christians didn’t destroy every single Pagan temple and remnant of Pagan religions that they came across to prevent resurgence of the inherently evil native Pagan psuedo-faiths.”

Yes, I am aware that this kind of thinking is actually more evil (and theologically inaccurate) than the stuff I thought was evil and that Pope Francis’ open, loving and compassionate approach to non-believes is the way to go when sharing the Faith. I’m trying to think more like that, that other faiths have certain truths to them (not complete truth mind you, I’m no syncretist! ;)) and their followers are just as loved by Our Lord Jesus Christ since He died for ALL Humanity whether we accept His Divine Love or not, but I really struggle with it. Especially with all the chaos with stuff like ISIS, people letting Satanist have Freedom of Religion despite that it infringes on Catholics’ FoR and the heinous scourge of “neo-paganism” with young women these days.

Are there any resources out there I can read or listen to or watch etc. that could help me continue to be less angry and more Christian? I really don’t like this kind of anger. :frowning:

I have these feelings too, and have found the answer by reading the bible.
Humility is what I have found that I need to practice. Be unjudgemental. We must learn to love people unconditionally. I do realise that this is so much easier said than done. Believe me I have a hard time with this. I need to pray more. I had to learn to pray for and not hate this woman I know, who is a female non-denominational bishop. (Or that’s what she believes she is) that bashes the catholic church constantly and is furious because I won’t join her. She is so angry because I am a catholic. I need to see what others answers will be. I need help with this too. I will pray that God help us both.

Hatred can be good sometimes. St. Cyril of Jerusalem, Catechetical Lectures, Lecture 16:

Let us hate them who are worthy of hatred; let us turn away from them from whom God turns away; let us also ourselves say unto God with all boldness concerning all heretics, “Do not I hate them, O Lord, that hate You, and am not I grieved with Your enemies?” (Ps 139:21) For there is also an enmity which is right, according as it is written, I will put enmity between you and her seed Genesis 3:15; for friendship with the serpent works enmity with God, and death.”

But we should cautious. Many Roman Catholics doubt about their faith, – therefore sometimes they deserve less hatred.

There but for the grace of God go I.

As we are all sinners, it’s best not to hate those with different faiths. Take them as they are and careful not to judge them.

We ourselves make errors so avoid being overly righteous. It is the calling of every Christian to love those who hate us (or our beliefs).

Let Christ be our light and shield and be focused that we want to be in the Heavenly Kingdom, where nothing unclean can enter.

The solution is to always go to prayer and reflection. Be also at peace, because we know the Truth and that sets us free. :slight_smile:

Come Holy Spirit, fill the hearts of your faithful and kindle in them the fire of your love. Send forth your Spirit and they shall be created. And You shall renew the face of the earth.

Amen.

MJ

I also have this problem and whenever I notice that I am thinking this way I try to remember what my mother once told me, “Other faiths are like a stepping stone towards the Catholic church”. So I try to remember that they are trying their best to follow God. I also try to follow this line of thinking with what Fulton Sheen once said, "There are not one hundred people in the United States who hate The Catholic Church, but there are millions who hate what they wrongly perceive the Catholic Church to be.” One of the hardest things to admit to in life is to admit when you are wrong…I had to go through that when I was coming back…It is very hard and defeating. So I try to feel for them in that regard instead of anger…

Also, whenever I confess this to a priest I am told to focus on Jesus.

Hope this helps.

You seem to be on the right track. Maybe as a resource keep reading CCC 818, 819, and 839 thru 843. Peace.

Can you love someone and still want to pinch their head off? If not, I’m in trouble.

Even though persons of other faiths are not our brothers and sisters in Christ, they are still our brothers and sisters in creation. All human beings are direct descendants of Adam and Eve, and therefore, deserve the dignity which God has graciously granted to all persons. :bounce::flowers:

:sad_yes:, you are in trouble. Entertaining murderous thoughts against others is strictly prohibited by both Christ and his church. Bring it to your next confession.

No Dear friend it is not possible to have those conflicting thoughts.

In the Bahai Writings it is clear

“…The meaning of this is that ye must show forth tenderness and love to every human being, even to your enemies, and welcome them all with unalloyed friendship, good cheer, and loving-kindness. When ye meet with cruelty and persecution at another’s hands, keep faith with him; when malevolence is directed your way, respond with a friendly heart. To the spears and arrows rained upon you, expose your breasts for a target mirror-bright; and in return for curses, taunts and wounding words, show forth abounding love…” reference.bahai.org/en/t/ab/SAB/sab-8.html

God Bless and Regards Tony

Serenity Prayer

God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

(Although known most widely in its abbreviated form above,
the entire prayer reads as follows…)

Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
Taking, as Jesus did, this sinful world
as it is, not as I would have it;
Trusting that He will make all things right
if I surrender to His Will;
That I may be reasonably happy in this life
and supremely happy with Him
Forever in the next.
Amen.

The key, for me, is reminding myself that God has forgiven me again and again and again, all through the sacrifice of His Son. He calls us to mercy and love, so find a way to tap into those things. I often think of how blessed I am to have the family I have, and how hard it would be for the little children growing up in different areas where, say ISIS ideology has a hold, and they are taught from infancy that ideology. Yes, we are responsible for our own actions as adults, but what we were taught in childhood does have an effect on us the rest of our lives. So, I pray for them out of empathy, and ask the Lord to give them opportunities to change.

That was a joke, son. Apparently a poor attempt at humor. Relax.

1. We cannot truly call on God, the Father of all, if we refuse to treat in a brotherly way any man, created as he is in the image of God. Man’s relation to God the Father and his relation to men his brothers are so linked together that Scripture says: “He who does not love does not know God” (1 John 4:8).

No foundation therefore remains for any theory or practice that leads to discrimination between man and man or people and people, so far as their human dignity and the rights flowing from it are concerned.

The Church reproves, as foreign to the mind of Christ, any discrimination against men or harassment of them because of their race, color, condition of life, or religion. On the contrary, following in the footsteps of the holy Apostles Peter and Paul, this sacred synod ardently implores the Christian faithful to “maintain good fellowship among the nations” (1 Peter 2:12), and, if possible, to live for their part in peace with all men, so that they may truly be sons of the Father who is in heaven.

vatican.va/archive/hist_councils/ii_vatican_council/documents/vat-ii_decl_19651028_nostra-aetate_en.html

vatican.va/roman_curia/pontifical_councils/interelg/

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.