Dilation and curretage justified here?

Hello all,

My wife and I just learned that the baby she was carrying has died in utero. There is no heartbeat and the baby had not developed for many weeks. She has not yet miscarried, but has been bleeding for about a week.

In a previous miscarriage, she bled profusely and had to be rushed to the hospital while we frantically tried to find a sitter for our two sons. We were told that the present miscarriage could take weeks to finish! We would like to prevent the previous trauma from happening again.

The doctor suggested/recommended that she undergo a D&C (dilation & curretage) to remove the baby’s body, placenta, etc. Since this procedure is used in live abortions, this makes me uneasy. However, since the baby has already died, and considering the risk of repeated trauma, is there a moral objection to this procedure in this case?

God bless all of you for the work you do.

M B

Dear M B,

There is no reason to feel uneasy since it has been determined that the baby is dead. Right now it is necessary to concentrate on your wife’s health. The baby needs to be removed soon. You and your wife are in our prayers.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.