Dilemma between Apologetics and Ecumenism

Hi there I’m from the Netherlands and here the Catholics are more involved in Ecumenism then Apologetics as also in various parts of Europe.

But what is more important or should both be done?

I have friends that apose Apologetics and are more for Ecumenism,
In the Netherlands there is also not an organisation like Catholic Anwers or Envoy.
Also I don’t hear anything about Apologetics from the Bishops (official website of the Catholic church), only Ecumenism. The new Pope I know has statements about Apologetics but I miss this alot in the Netherlands. I’m thinking of starting an Apologetic website in Holland but I also don’t know how the Bishops and other Catholics will react, I don’t know if this is a No-No in the Netherlands.
(but I do know that there are Protestant Apologetics websites that are anti-Catholic).

Has anybody an idea of how to go about this or even how to respond to people(Catholics mainly) about Apologetics, especially in relation to Ecumenism.

Ideas especially from Apologists on this forum, (from Catholic Answers themselves, preferably). But also from anybody that can give me tips.

Thanks in advance.

God Bless!

Andrew

[quote=andre]Hi there I’m from the Netherlands and here the Catholics are more involved in Ecumenism then Apologetics as also in various parts of Europe.

But what is more important or should both be done?

I have friends that apose Apologetics and are more for Ecumenism,
In the Netherlands there is also not an organisation like Catholic Anwers or Envoy.
Also I don’t hear anything about Apologetics from the Bishops (official website of the Catholic church), only Ecumenism. The new Pope I know has statements about Apologetics but I miss this alot in the Netherlands. I’m thinking of starting an Apologetic website in Holland but I also don’t know how the Bishops and other Catholics will react, I don’t know if this is a No-No in the Netherlands.
(but I do know that there are Protestant Apologetics websites that are anti-Catholic).

Has anybody an idea of how to go about this or even how to respond to people(Catholics mainly) about Apologetics, especially in relation to Ecumenism.

Ideas especially from Apologists on this forum, (from Catholic Answers themselves, preferably). But also from anybody that can give me tips.

Thanks in advance.

God Bless!

Andrew
[/quote]

Apologetics and Ecumenism are not mutually exclusive of one another.

Ecumenism seeks to re-unite Christians by inviting those separated from Catholic unity to return by starting where we have a common belief or focus. Ecumenism never discounts the claims of the Catholic Church and never compromises on beliefs for the sake of external unity.

Apologetics seeks to invite non-believers to conside the claims of the Catholic Church while presenting the Gospel message. It also seeks to re-unite Christians by inviting those separated from Catholic unity to return by presenting the Truth of the teachings of the Catholic Church through history, information and reason. It never forces, coerces or deceives anyone.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.