Dilemma where to go


If you suspect you have a medical problem with your physical or mental health, you need to see a doctor. We are not supposed to give medical advice on this forum, and your question is not appropriate for this forum. We cannot sit here diagnosing whether you have OCD or something else. Please see a doctor.


Im afraid where to go, which doctor is appropriate for me :pensive:
Im afraid how parents would react to that :disappointed: that I need help


How old are you?

There’s nothing wrong with getting help when you need it. It’s exactly what you should do.


18 years old


First, it’s never wrong to seek medical attention. God gave us what we need to use medicine and gave many men and women the gift to heal and treat as physicians. Going to a doctor does not mean you lack trust in God.

Also, everyone has intrusive thoughts. That’s not abnormal. I don’t know your exact situation and if there’s anything else, and you don’t need to share intimate details here.

If you think you may need to see a doctor, do so. And if you think you may need to see a priest, do so. You don’t need absolute certainty about what you need before you have a diagnosis.


I once again reiterate my call. Posting here is exceptionally destructive to you specifically. You MUST stop posting. It will make your scrupulousity worse and worse. You are clearly seriously troubled. This forum will not help, but rather compound the issue even a professional will have trouble solving it. Don’t post here again.

1 Like

So maybe I am normal


Once again…your question is inappropriate for this forum.
As the person above posted, between this and your other thread you appear to have a lot of problems that are likely to need medical help.
We cannot help you with this.
Your insisting that these posts are somehow “appropriate” after you have been told repeatedly that they are not, is also not appropriate and is bad forum etiquette.

I further note that while people on here try to be compassionate and helpful, this forum is “Catholic Answers”, intended to provide information about Catholicism and a place to discuss the Catholic religion and related topics. It is not a support forum for people with medical and emotional issues. Your recent threads are frankly off topic for the forum.

Please stop posting about your issues here and go get some medical help ASAP.

1 Like

OK I am sorry for that


So if I wanted to post on Internet, would it be better to post on specialized forums like mental health?


It would be better to visit a priest and a mental health professional.


Everyone has intrusive, inappropriate thoughts. That doesn’t mean we’re bad people or are plagued by demons or mentally ill. As Catholics and as human beings in general, we should do what we can to dismiss intrusive thoughts and think about something else instead. Don’t indulge a fantasy. Dismissing an intrusive thought isn’t always as easy as counting to one, two, three, either. It can take time thinking about something else before it really goes away. Over time, it becomes easier to dismiss them. I stopped sins of impurity three years ago at 28 years old, and I can vouch for it being easier now than it was then.

All that said, we can’t diagnose you. You seemed to have a lot of anxiety over the matter. It might be because you’re younger and haven’t been taught very well about the matter.

If you even think this is something you should speak to a doctor about, I would still recommend going. It may also be helpful to speak to a priest. You don’t need to be sure before speaking to either, and you can speak to them more privately than you should be speaking to us on the Internet, so they can get a better idea.


For people who do have OCD or severe anxiety about scruples, Internet forums in general are bad places to go, in that they will only ever make it worse. You should speak directly to a mental health professional or priest.


Make an appointment with your doctor immediately. Get a recommendation to a therapist.

The idea that going to a doctor means you don’t trust God is more of the disease talking-- there is NO Catholic teaching against going to a doctor. Many Catholic saints started hospitals. Fr. Benedict Groeschel was a psychologist. You MUST seek out medical/psychological treatment for this disorder.

Get under the care of a competent therapist and then go to your pastor and explain that you have OCD/scruples and need spiritual help too.


Intrusive thoughts are part of OCD. Get help from a competent mental health professional.

1 Like

STOP posting on the internet. GO see a therapist. NOW!


You may or may not be “normal” but the best way to find out is to discuss your situation with a person who has the training to tell if you are or not.

If you are in the US, in school or college, there are people there who can help you find help. Even if you just graduated, someone at your school may be able to advise you, so it’s worth calling them.

If you are not in school, you may need to discuss this with your parents, or you may be able to use your insurance card on your own.

If these are not options, call Catholic Charities in your diocese; they will be able to help but it may take time.


Im from Poland and having holidays now so no school. But I dont know if our school psychologist is believing or not, so it may or not help.


THAT’S COMPLETELY IRRELEVANT. YOU NEED HELP. If not from him then from any other psychologist. Get a priest for the spiritual element. And stop making excuses. There are none. You live in a modern European nation, not Niger or Somalia. Ample help is available.


It does not matter if the therapist is a believer or not. Do you worry if your regular doctor is a believer or not?

Find a priest to supplement the therapist if you need to. The benefit will be that if you are seeing a therapist, the priest will be better able to help you with the spiritual aspects :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.