Dinner Party: Is Pea Soup with Lasagna OK?

Hey y’all! I am a poor college student making dinner for myself and 5 friends for tomorrow. I’ve already made lasagna, but we’ve already eaten a little of it, so I wanted to make sure to have appetizers too. So I bought stuff for Caesar salad. I was also planning on making split pea soup, since my mom gave me a hambone. If you were me, would you serve split pea soup before lasagna, or would that be too badly matched? (If it is, I can marinate some vegetables and save the pea soup for later.)

Make the pea soup for later, and marinate some veggies. HOWEVER, if you end up eating the whole lasagna, make the pea soup, and serve it with some crusty bread and lots of butter.

Remembering my college years, any edible food was acceptable and highly appreciated. and, for me, pea soup goes with anything!

College students I know would eat soup made out of old socks. Lasagna, Caesar salad, and a good loaf of bread sounds great. The pea soup would be dandy along with it.

You could go on line and look up recipes for more broth-based soups made with a ham bone if you think the pea soup is too assertive for the rest of your menu.

You could go on line and look up recipes for more broth-based soups made with a ham bone if you think the pea soup is too assertive for the rest of your menu.

Oh whoops! too late. P’raps I’ll taste it and see how heavy it is. I think if there were only a few of us, I wouldn’t do it, but I want to make sure to have lots of food, since I haven’t had this many over in a while, and they’re easy-going but at the same time I want it to be the more formal edge of college dinners, where I don’t have to ask them to jump up and help with stuff, or root through the pantry for something to make dinner look bigger.

What do you fancy in the way of light desserts? I was thinking maybe I would just buy some fruit tomorrow and make coffee.

Are they girls? I think my DH is the only man on earth who eats fruit for dessert. We like cheese with it but that can be a budget-buster. Last time I picked up Stilton it was $16 US a pound.

Guys tend to like more “juvenile” desserts like marshmallow-Snickers-double-chocolate-fudge-Bourbon pie (I made that up).

hahaha I love how you ate some of your lasagne already!! Too funny. I remember what it was like being a poor college student.

I think your friends will be happy just to have something good to eat!! So go for the pea soup and lasagne combo, in my opinion. Ceasar salad is an excellent match!

Oh what a yummy pie. :smiley:
But you are correct. Fruit is not much of a dessert. Fruit also can be more expensive then a cake or pie. If you want to do both - get some angel food cake, frozen strawberries and whipped cream.
It’s light and sweet and satisfies most people.

serve lots of bread.

If you are wanting to make a soup to go with your lasagna, would you like a recipe for minestrone?

Bingo, bread!!! Brilliant jrabs.

This reminds me of when I moved into my first apartment and invited 15 people over last minute ( thinking about half would show up ) for a pork roast. EVERYONE showed up… and my little pork roast shrunk to half the size in the oven!!! hahaha. Fortunately I had potatoes that I cut up like fries and baked in the oven. They were a hit and everyone was filled up.

I wish I were that brilliant jrabs person - but alas someone else already thought of bread in another post. I just say LOTS of fresh bread. :o

Nothing beats fresh Italian bread.

Well, we all had a semester at Rome where fruit was all we got for dessert except Sundays and holidays, so I think everyone is used to it (all girls, yes). I’m not thinking of “here, have an apple” but artistic strawberries or the like. (Very vague and a bit pompous! I mean “I’ll see what i can find that is tasty, and make it look pretty too.”) I don’t really want to buy a cake, it goes against my principles (they are not against cake, but against buying something you could make yourself and it would be fresher and have fewer preservatives and also cheaper and more entertaining). But if someone has a recipe for a cake that’s not too rich and maybe 1 layer I could do that.

Sure, I’ll take your minestrone recipe, Dulcissima… I was thinking I might get in the habit of lasagna-making :slight_smile:

You sound like a far better cook than I am. Have a nice dinner party.

Better yet, get a crock pot. You can make gallons of soup (cheap) and freeze forward. Casserole type dishes are great in that thing. It’s a great money-saver and stewed things are SO incredibly delicious!

Minestrone Soup

Ingredients:
1 cup diced cabbage
1 small onion, diced
2 to 3 carrots, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
1 potato, peeled and diced
1 cup canned diced tomatoes
5 cups vegetable or chicken broth
1/2 cup diced zucchini
1 15 oz can kidney beans (or your favorite
beans)
1/3 cup drdied elbow macaroni or other small
pasta
1 tablespoon minced fresh oregano
salt & pepper

Directions:
In a large pot, combine cabbage, onions,
carrots, celery, potato, tomatoes, and broth.
Bring to a simmer over moderate heat. Cover,
adjust heat to maintain simmer, and cook until
vegetables are half done, about 15 minutes.
Add zucchini, beans with their juice, and
macaroni. Cover and simmer until
vegetables are tender and pasta is al dente.
Add oregano and season to taste with salt &
peper.

and I think if you wanted to use ham instead of chicken broth it would totally work.

I agree. I love Split Pea Soup & I love Lasagna, but not together.:slight_smile:

Fruit is always a good choice, or you could buy some Biscotti at the local bakery or grocery store, which is yunmmy with coffee.:slight_smile:

I’m late to this thread, but my thought is this: if someone is generous enough to invite me for supper, I will eat any paired combination with gratitude.

Why of course! To do otherwise would be rude, but the OP asked about the pairing…and I was not invited to the dinner, so I gave my opinion:p :smiley: !!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.