Dinner with a heterodox

My wife and I were invited to dinner with a friend who invited another couple. It did not take too long to find out that we were all Catholic. Then this couple preceeds to explain to us why the Church needs to evolve with the times and should ordain women and married men and etc. on many other heterodoxies.

At the dinner we did not say anything. We did not defend the Church, her Popes, her saints, or her Lord.

Talking about this afterward, we know that we could have called down fire (so to speak) and ruined dinner for all. So, we instead opted to say nothing. We are seeking the right approach to defend the faith and not sit on the fence.

How would you approach this situation?

Thanks,
Scapular

i find that always to be a tough situation to be in, and much of my family is ‘cafateria catholics’ so to speak, so there are often awkward situations. the only thing i might suggest for hte next time is, you don’t need to bring down the ‘fire’ but perhaps you can engage htem in conversation. ask why Jesus, a radical who really didn’t care what leaders thought of Him, didn’t ordain women (they wouldnt dare (i hope) suggest that Jesus succumbed to peer pressure), and point out that he greatly respected them, they traveled with him, ect. just an example. i would try to calmly engage in conversation, and if it begins to get too heated, change the topic. you don’t want them to think you agree with them. but i know these situations can be difficult - so pray pray pray! :thumbsup:

This may not be the best approach, but my wife and I play a “good cop/bad cop” kind of game. As soon as I get one strong statement out showing that I wouldn’t sit by and let someone defame Mother Church, she pipes up and says “Let’s change the conversation or he’ll never let it drop.” After that, if they persist then I figure they wanted the evening ruined.

I have run into a similar situation. I said to the person I was talking to something along the lines of * “I understand your sentiment, especially in the culture in which we live in America. Help me understand better. What scriptural support could the church use for such a change? What tradition would it turn to for guidence? One of the things I really appreciate about our faith is that it doesn’t bend with the whims of man.”

*Obviously the person couldn’t provide any of the above and went on to express their real concern that the church was dying, which led into a discussion on how it’s up to us to step up and do a better job spreading the truth. I also reminded them that the America represented a small percentage of the billion plus Catholics in the world. The rest of the world may not agree with our notion to change.

[quote=StCsDavid]I have run into a similar situation. I said to the person I was talking to something along the lines of * “I understand your sentiment, especially in the culture in which we live in America. Help me understand better. What scriptural support could the church use for such a change? What tradition would it turn to for guidence? One of the things I really appreciate about our faith is that it doesn’t bend with the whims of man.”

[/quote]

I think I’ve told you this before, but I really appreciate when you answer these types of questions, StCsDavid. You have a wonderful, straight-forward, but non-offensive way with words. God has given you a wonderful gift. Thank you! :tiphat:

[quote=Elzee]I think I’ve told you this before, but I really appreciate when you answer these types of questions, StCsDavid. You have a wonderful, straight-forward, but non-offensive way with words. God has given you a wonderful gift. Thank you! :tiphat:
[/quote]

Thank you for your kind words. All credit goes to the Holy Spirit.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.